GO!

Kitten small for her age? Worried about development

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Phoebe

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 9:35am PST 
My female kitten is about 5 and a half months old. I feel like she is small for her age. She is 5lbs and her brother is dubble what she is. When we got the kittens at 7 weeks old the female was much bigger then her little brother. They do not fight over food or anything. They only play. Also she still sucks on my stuff. Only me. We got them at a young age and i think she transfured her feelings for her mother to me. I thought she would grow out of sucking on me and anything that smelled like me. I am very worried about her emotional and physical development. Should i be worried or is everything fine and normal
[notify]

Norman DB#93- 2001-2013

I know you have- chicken & I want- it.

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 11:26am PST 
Cats vary in size even as adults, unless she is skinny or poorly looking or has other symptoms I would not worry about size alone. Our adults range in size from 8 pounds to 13 pounds, just like humans size varies. As far as the nursing, we have several that still do that as adults, it often stems from separation anxiety from their mom, but it isn't really anything to worry about. A simple check-up might ease your mind. Enjoy your new fur family!wink
[notify]

Laila

Queen Bee

Purred: Thu Aug 29, '13 1:07pm PST 
If she's five months old and weighs 5 pounds, she's doing fine. The reason her brother is bigger is that the testosterone has taken over. My kittens did the same thing. Trekkie was the runt of the litter and very sickly as a baby, but around 4-5 months, he just plowed right past his sisters on the growth charts. He is long and tall and lean. Laila is much more compact and petite (even if she is overweight and built like a bowling ball). As long as her size and weight are proportionate to each other, I wouldn't worry too much.
[notify]