GO!

4 month old kitten rollin' in the litter.

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Booker

Purred: Sun Aug 4, '13 6:39pm PST 
Hi! Last month I adopted a kitten. He's now 4 months old and a really great kitten!

The only thing is that he likes to sometimes roll in his litter box. I do NOT want to punish or reprimand him in the litter box, so I'm not sure how to get him to stop it.

I haven't seen poop on him or anything, so I don't know if he's rolling when it's not fresh, though I scoop the poop out every day and keep the litter clean.

I used to use Arm and Hammer Scented then I switched to Arm and Hammer unscented, and now I'm using the pellet type Yesterdays News. I also changed from a open cat litter pan to a hooded one.

He still rolls!

Any advice? Or will he at least grow out of this?

Thanks so much!
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Mon Aug 5, '13 8:47am PST 
Some kittens enjoy rolling in their litter boxes. Most of them won't do it in a soiled litter box because cats are inherently clean animals, but I've known several that do this. They have all grown out of it. It's good that you're not reprimanding him when he's in the litter box as that would open a whole new can of worms. What you can try instead is using treats or toys when you catch him doing this to lure him out of the kitty box. Eventually, he should realize that the real fun is outside of the box (pun totally intended).
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Mon Aug 5, '13 9:00am PST 
Oh, when I was a young kitten, I used to LOVE doing that! It always made MomMEE laugh. I outgrew that long ago, and your kitten will, too; for now, just let him have his fun. smile
[notify]

Maus: DB- #53!

Good old- fashioned lover- boy

Purred: Mon Aug 5, '13 3:26pm PST 
I just turned 8 and I have a confession:

I still enjoy rolling in the litter box after meowmy changes it red face
[notify]

Lacey

Purred: Thu Aug 8, '13 6:13pm PST 
I once had a cat who, all her life, would get excited when I changed the litter and immediately jump into the fresh litter and roll around in it. She only did it when the litter was absolutely fresh. A lot of young kittens will play in litter, roll in litter, even fish out a piece of poop and bat it around, then outgrow these behaviors totally.
[notify]