GO!

Kitten and Crates?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Wed May 1, '13 10:19pm PST 
I rescued a 5 week old kitten last week, he's settling in well and is just the cutest little thing I've ever seen! I also own 7 dogs and they all get along fine with the other older cats. My Jack Russell Terrier, Dax is kind of unsure of the new guy, Sparrow. He's never tried hurting him of anything like that but I can tell he's uncomfortable with him at the moment. So I was wondering if it's okay to put Sparrow in a very large dog crate at night and when I'm away, to protect him from the dogs, and keep him from chewing on cords and wires. So far I haven't had to leave him home alone, but last night he slept in the crate with no problems. I've crate trained all my dogs and was just curious if I could do the same with the kitten. smile
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 2, '13 5:47pm PST 
Could you put the kitten in the bathroom at night and when you're not home? thinking That's what Human did with Leroy when he was a kitten. Make sure to store all cleaning solutions/chemicals in a cabinet or closet and that the kitten can't get into them. Use child-proof locks if needed. Keep the toilet lid down to prevent accidentally falls inside. If the bathroom doesn't have a window, keep the nightlight on so the kitten isn't in the dark. Offer a box to hide in if the kitten wants some darkness. Leroy just slept in the bathtub because the shwoer curtain blocked most of the nightlight. And make sure to have food and water and toys and a litter box in the bathroom.

A large crate works if you can't use the bathroom smile There are large cat playpens with multi levels that you can use as well. But if you alraedy have a crate fromthe dogs, just use that.
[notify]