GO!

5-6 month old kitten in heat

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Tue Nov 13, '12 4:44pm PST 
So about a month ago I got my very first cat (ever!!) as a stray, and she has been a little angel until recently- I believe she is in heat.

Cleo has been doing all of the typical "in heat" things cats do, like rolling around and cooing, meowing, talking, raising her behind, etc, so I am pretty sure I figured out what she is going through. My question is, what do I do? Can I make her more comfortable or is there anything I should watch out for? She has been bugging the heck out of my roommate and I when we try to do our homework, and her poor boy (but neutered) kitty has had to put up with her and sometimes nips her neck and ears, which I'm assuming is "shut up please" in kitty language. She is due to be spayed in a couple weeks, but I don't know what to do in the meantime.

Basically, a first time cat owner/19 year old with limited experience with these furry creatures needs some advice. Thank you!

-------------------

Edit: I went to read a few pages into this board and saw that some people are saying that allowing a kitten to go into its first heat is not optimal. Is there a reason it's bad other than the young cat may mate? Thanks again kitty

Edit Edit: Stray cats outside my door, guys. It's almost 1am.. I locked her in my room and sprinkled some catnip on her scratcher as a distraction so they'll go away, however I have never given her catnip before.. perhaps a bad call. This is what they call "learning the ropes", right? Looks like I'm in for a late night! cat on moon

Edited by author Tue Nov 13, '12 9:44pm PST

[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Tue Nov 13, '12 7:35pm PST 
Get her spayed ASAP. She is old enough, and it will reduce the chances of breast cancer, and unwanted kittens, along with male cats hanging around. There is no reason to have an unspayed female kitty unless she is kept for breeding purposes. It is healthier for them really, and she can be spayed while in heat. If funds are tight, there are spay & neuter clinics at reduced prices. It is the most responsible thing you can do for your kitty.
[notify]

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Tue Nov 13, '12 8:42pm PST 
I said above that she is scheduled to be spayed in a couple weeks - the wait is for a good clinic who I want her to be with combined with complications with my schedule because I wanted to find a block of free days when I can be with her. Don't worry, she's getting spayed.
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Thu Nov 15, '12 2:24pm PST 
I did read that you had said in a couple weeks - it is just that what is happening with the strays outside - that is what I was worried about - why I said ASAP - I should have been more clear for you. They will hang around until she is out of heat - which she can stay in for a while. Most important is to stay on your toes that she does not get out. Catnip should not hurt her, sometimes kitties that young do not respond to it is all. I don't know of anything to really help her feel better, other than stopping the cycles. Good Luck - let us know how she is doing
[notify]

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Fri Nov 16, '12 3:39pm PST 
Ah okay! Thank you for clarifying smile She is sweet as can be now- I think she has cooled off over the past day in a half, haha. Catnip did absolutely help, what a blessing that a packet was included with her scratcher. I think I am going to keep her spay date as the 30th because I think we're in the clear. Thank you for emphasizing that.. I don't understand how anyone could stand *not* getting their cat spayed; what a rough patch!
[notify]

Claude- Hoppurr

Claude NOT- Clod!!!

Purred: Sat Nov 17, '12 2:10pm PST 
I want to congratulate you for making the appointment to spay your kitty. That was very responsible of you! There is no harm in having your kitten come in to heat before she is spayed - except if she happens to get pregnant - and you are taking steps to prevent that.
The biting of the neck area is a mating response by the neutered boy - and is harmless unless he becomes too aggressive and injures her.
It is good that you will have a few days to be with her while she recovers from her surgery!
Again - good job!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:30pm PST 
There really isnt anything you can do other than be SUPER careful she dosn't bolt out the door, window, ect. ive seen cats rip screens to get out to mate. and THANK YOU so much for getting her fixed. Cats in heat are annoying for sure, and even if one person spays there cat, that is so many kittens saved. good for you.
[notify]

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Tue Nov 20, '12 8:56am PST 
Thank you all!! I was so afraid of her making a bolt for the door, but thankfully she wasn't that daring. I did keep the windows shut tight though because we have wobbly screens.. thanks landlady!

I appreciate the encouragement. Hopefully I'm in the clear until her spay date way to go
[notify]