GO!

leaving a very clingy kitten home alone to go to work... :(

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
socks

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '12 11:51pm PST 
hi all - i adopted a very affectionate little darling yesterday, she's adjusting to her new home ok, she's playing eating, drinking, but if i'm out of sight she cries so much..

I left the house to get a hot water bottle to see if it would keep her in her basket - when i got back 15 minutes later she was crying so much.. she was in her bed with the hot water bottle for a while but now shes back sleeping at my feet...

I'm actually getting sick with worry about leaving her alone for my dayjob...

while buying her a hot water bottle, i also check for alarm clocks , as i read the ticking soothes them, as if it were a heart beat.. but all the ones they had were silent - the staff must have thought i was nuts holding each one to my ear..

i know this may be a common question, but what can i possibly do to alleviate her loneliness while i do my dayjob?? i guess i could come home at lunchtime to check on her, but.. im still worried about stressing a kitty in a new environment thats only been away from her mom and siblings 2 days..

anyone have similar experiences and possible ideas?...?

sock's dad.
[notify]

Irma Thomas

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 9:20am PST 
It is harder now to find alarm clocks that "tick", try either Family Dollar or Dollar General stores, and make sure it is battery operated, find those "tick" louder, and they are inexpensive.

Another thing you could do is leave out some clothing you have worn and not washed as yet. You scent would comfort the kitten also, and while at the Dollar store, pick up an inexpensive, small stuffed animal. Hold it in your arms and get your scent on it also. Put these and the clock into the box or bed where the kitten sleeps. These have worked in the past for me, and have seen others make these suggestions on CATSTER.

Bless you for rescuing a kitten and giving it a home, and yes, REAL MEN LOVE CAND CARE FOR CATS!!! Go Cat Daddy!!!

Keep us posted on your new baby

The New Orleans Kittieswave
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 10:58am PST 
Here's one stop shopping for you! I got this for Coop when he was a baby. It's a soft cat, and it comes with heating packs and a battery operated heart that simulates the momma cat's heartbeat.

http://www.doggonegood.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=produc t.display&product_id=11805&ParentCat=43
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 11:59am PST 
It's Stella. When she got me, our person did not work and then she worked for 5 hrs a day, but I was super clingy too. Some people have said to try and leave either the radio or the tv on low to provide the same background noise for the kitty when you are gone. Whichever you usually have on at home, or music, that might help. Otherwise, all the other stuff that you have done, warmth, leaving your smell on things, the ticking etc. should help. The kitty might cry itself out the first time you go to work, but young kittens are very adaptable and she will soon learn that this is nap time. Also leave any toys that she can safely play with on her own, and if she could have a place where she can look outside, that would be a distraction.

Because I was older than this, my person had a large dog cage to shut me in with a small pan, food, water etc, plus toys. You might try that. Our person has had two or more cats who, when they are stressed, go and hide in weird tight crevices--up a chimney, down a crack in the floor, behind the refrigerator. It is certainly safer for the kitty to be confined somewhat for a while than get hurt. She will get used to you being gone, but it could take a while. It is nice to have an affectionate cat rather than one of the standoffish ones like some here I could name! Purr to you and the new kitty and have a long happy life together. wave
[notify]

socks

Purred: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:46pm PST 
thankyou all - i have read so much that i have pretty much done everything apart from get a soft toy - i left several teeshirts on the spots where she sleeps and even slept with her blanket last night to leave a scent - i left my iphone at home playing the radio, and she has plenty of toys, boxes, paper bags, you name it!- i found one of those soft toys with the heart - i ordered it online yesterday, as they are imported, they aren`t cheap in japan!

I set up a webcam as well so i can skype in and watch her at work..

thankyou for the reassurance..
[notify]

socks

Purred: Mon Oct 1, '12 6:18am PST 
well, she was fine, she dozed in her play box all day,i but BOY is she super energized tonight! played with her for 3 hours straight.. im more tired than she is....
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Thu Oct 4, '12 12:56pm PST 
It's Stella. How is Socks doing with the work regimen so far? Is she consistently resting up when you're out, and happy to see you when you get back? Still eating and growing? Kittens are very adaptable, and like to have a schedule in their lives. Pretty soon she will be putting you on her schedule, as many people on this list will attest. Have a long and happy life together! big grin
[notify]

socks

Purred: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:16am PST 
Yes, she is lounging around all day waiting for me to come home, then she has a long play session gradually culminating into a bit of a frenzy... Then naps on my desk til beditime.. I am very glad she can sleep all night though..

One thing I worry about is that she is totally inactive all day, (I check on her via webcam at work) she just sits in a cardboard box that she chose and does nothing except go to the toilet.. I am a bit concerned that she Doesnt attempt to play with anything unless I am with her...

Also, she has developed a few naughty traits.. She meows once or twice very long and loudly, then leaps at the curtains and the wall. I put bitter apple spray on the bottoms but she continues to do if, I wonder if it's out of being bored all day...apart from that she is being very well behaved..
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:17am PST 
It's Stella. Every young kitty has a favorite play activity, with a large imaginary component. She may see the curtain move slightly or light on the wall, and imagine a bird or something. Or she may see a tiny bug that you can't see. I don't know if there is any repellant that works in this case. My sibs and I finished off one set of curtains in our house doing that. Also kittens like to climb curtains. shock Do you have a scratching post for her? One of those big climbing towers would be the best thing, but they are so expensive--plus you will have to put it together, which is super ugly, they humans tell us.

Our person never had a webcam, but she can tell that we did not just lay around while she was gone! Are you sure that she has been wormed thoroughly? Those worms can call bouts of lethergy.

Purrs to you, Socks, you are really training this very nice human well! wink
[notify]

socks

Purred: Sun Oct 7, '12 8:03pm PST 
she's 2 months old and I beleieve although she seems to show no signs of them.. she hasnt been wormed - I should look into this as a preventive measure.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2