GO!

Newborn kittens' nails have turned black

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Vita

Vita Sweeta

Purred: Tue Sep 25, '12 7:19pm PST 
I've fostered a number of pregnant and nursing kitties. But, never noticed this with any other kittens. I received a Momma kitty and her five newborn kittens a few days ago. They're approximately a week old and their nails are turning black! See photo White Female Kitten. Anyone know what would cause this?
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 2:00am PST 
It is indeed strange to see them at the front and not on the back paws. I did read that some cats do have black claws which are hard to trim. When you bring her to the vet for a check up, ask.
I don't believe that it is a health issue. It isn't from litter or dirt.....She may just have black claws...
I did look for info and found the trimming issue with this color so that there must be cats with black claws..
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:38pm PST 
This is Delyte. Black cats have black claws and blackish pads. Any cat with black feet will usually have black claws and pads. But occasionally you will see white claws and pink pads on black feet, just like there are black cats with white whiskers. So it could be a sign of other genes coming through.

Plus white kittens don't always stay white as they grow. Many darken in patterns or all over. Can you see any markings in the white fur under strong light? Kittens are the lightest they will be when they are born. Even black kitties frequently have visible tabby stripes in their black fur when they are young, which later cannot be seen. The Momcat we cared for was a dark tabby and her black kitten was very striped, but later became all black.

Enjoy your little babies!
[notify]