GO!

Need advice..

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lilly

Lilli-"Mommas- girl"

Purred: Tue Sep 4, '12 11:59pm PST 
So i have my sweet 6 month old kitten for almost two months now. When i came home with her i let her out of the box up stairs by her litter box. Well she pretty much stays in my room with me all day except for at night but she still upstairs most of the night. My point is she doesnt go down stairs often. Could it be cause shes attached to me? Or that theyre are 3 little kids living in the house that are always downstairs too? Will she get used to it soon?
[notify]

Mayhem &- Phoebe

Purred: Thu Sep 6, '12 4:18pm PST 
Most kittens take time to get comfy with there new homes. It also depends on the breed. I had a Russian Blue mix and she never left our bedroom. We had her since she was 5 months old. She would always hide when people came over. Maybe take one child at a time to your new kitty and let them play with her, with a toy on a string so that she has some distance. This will help her learn that the kids are fun and not dangerous. I hope this helps... Remember some breeds just like to hide. I hope she is not one of them. Also, sometimes if you get another kitty it will help her come out of her shell. smile
[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 1:56pm PST 
She is still a baby, and honestly kids no matter how well behaved, are kids - they run & jump & screech as kids are supposed to do. This is pretty scary for a teeny kitten along with learning a new home. Does she like to be held? You can try & carry her out & sit with her. Once she is relaxed, the kids can try (one at a time) to sit by you & talk to her, or offer a treat or toy. But keep the sessions short before kitty feels upset. It takes patience. My Felix has been here about 1 month, and he is still skittish around my son & hubby - even though they are nice to Felix, they are big & loud with deep voices, so it is scary to him. Every day, my son will talk to Felix & take a toy to interact with him. I see him getting more relaxed each day. Some cats are more outgoing than others, but I think your goal is that your kitty is not frightened all the time. Good Luck!cat on moon
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Wed Sep 12, '12 6:42pm PST 
Kids can be scarey for kittens. I would get the wand toy and teach the kids how to play with the kitten. No touching unless she permits it. Kids can charge at a cat. Tell them to play with her but no touching. In time, she will become more comfortable. My daughter's cat is like yours. It took her some time to leave under the bed. She would come out at night for her food and play while the kids slept. Jackson Galaxy told one couple to block underneath the bed so the cat couldn't hide there. I used to clean under the bed with Orange natural cleaner. Cats hate oranges and will avoid it. Make sure that it is a natural cleaner. Your cat will come out so then give her a treat when she comes out. She needs more confidence and playing with her will help. Kittens love to play...please supervise the wand playing...
[notify]