GO!

Big kitty squashing little kitties...

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Maple

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 3:30am PST 
Maple has now accepted my two new 10 weeks old kittens.

However now the problem is she tries to play with them, as if they are her size! She is hurting the kittens unintentionally, but doesn't stop when they scream in pain.. she thinks it's a game.

Do I just have to keep them separated until the little ones grow and can play with her?

Thanks,
Ella

Edited by author Wed Aug 22, '12 3:31am PST

[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 7:12pm PST 
no, but she apparently didn't get enough 'granny cat' time at 8-16 weeks old! Use the water sprayer when they squall and she won't stop, and put them in another room when you won't be there. Before spraying, be SURE the kittens really are nOT playing. They can do quite a bit of screaming but still be wanting to play--do they run when you get her off of them, or do they run when she wants to play? If not, don't worry about it too much. You would be surprised at how rough little kittens like to play
[notify]

Maple

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 2:06am PST 
Thanks for posting!

Maple is 9 months old and is huge compared with 11 weeks old kittens.. Maple is definitely playing - but the kittens are scared and hissing because Maple sits on the and does the bunny leg thing... which hurts them. When I'm not there I keep them separated because I'm scared she will accidently hurt them. But when I'm there, I try to keep them around each other and just pick Maple up if she jumps on them - or put her in another room if she gets too boisterous. Spraying water has no effect on her because she loves water..

Has anyone had similar experiences??
[notify]

Maple

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 2:11am PST 
Also - when I grab Maple off the kittens, the kitten just sit really still and don't move... like they are mortified..
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Thu Aug 23, '12 5:42pm PST 
Maybe someone who fosters kittens can help. that's why kittens stay here till 12 weeks old; they learn to play with the old grannies and aunties, and Rory but Mom can still interfere if the babies squeal too much (rare) It only takes am ugly look. (And I don't doubt she loves water, but have you actually tried it--aim for the head? It's the surprise more than the wet that scares kitties)

Edited by author Thu Aug 23, '12 5:43pm PST

[notify]

Felix

mon petit chat- noir

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '12 3:23pm PST 
Having a similar issue with Smitty. He plays with Felix, but then when Felix lays down, Smitty will grab him by the throat/neck area & slide him along the floor or hold him there. He lets up when Felix squeaks. This lasted a few days, but seems to have gotten better. I think because when Smitty & Tigger play they launch at each other, and he doesn't understand that Felix is much much smaller than he is. I kept them seperate when I am not here also until I see that he stops doing that. Usually if I say "play nice Smitty" kind of sharp, he lets go.
[notify]