GO!

Neutered Today and Question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Elijah Lil- Tweet

Purred: Mon Dec 12, '11 2:07pm PST 
Elijah was finally neutered today, his one testicle did not drop so there was a 2nd incision I was told the same size as a spay incision. All went well.
Question is how do I keep a hyper active 5 month old kitten from climbing and jumping? I sat him on the table when i went to take him out of the carrier, planning on giving him some loving but before I could catch him he had jumped off the table, has been running through the house looking for something to eat. (can't eat for 2 hours) jumped onto my desk, I sat him down on the floor and told him NO, grabbed a teddy bear and started dragging him through the house. Right now I have him in his crate hoping once he eats he will calm down a little bit. I would not be so worried if it was a normal neuter incision but since he has the 2nd surgery I am really nervous of him breaking that incision open.
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Mon Dec 12, '11 3:18pm PST 
Poor Elijah. I can think of two options....neither ideal...

1) Put him in a large dog crate with a small litter box at one end and food/water at the other end. I know you probably don't want to run out and buy one of those if you don't already have one.

2) Put him in a small room that doesn't have much (or anything, ideally) to climb on. I know that room doesn't exist in most houses.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas for how to keep a 5 month old kitten from climbing/jumping. Good luck and feel better soon, Elijah.
[notify]

Elijah Lil- Tweet

Purred: Mon Dec 12, '11 4:35pm PST 
Thanks Leo, I have a small dog crate and a extra litter box but about 3 weeks ago when I tried to see how he did in it for a little bit while we had a baby in the house (he kept wanting to clean the new born baby) he ended up trying to force his way through the bar's and got his front leg stuck. Was not aware of it till he started yelling, I did one big panic.
Elijah can be so sweet and quiet but other times he could show up a child with ADHD. But I could not imagine a life without him in it.
Right now I have him in his carrying crate and am planning on leaving him just a bit longer to finish last minute kitchen clean up and then turn out all the lights and see if he will come lay down and watch tv with me.
[notify]

Pandora's Pride

got cute?

Purred: Tue Dec 13, '11 4:17pm PST 
Don't worry about it, he won't bust it open! Those things are harder to harm than you might imagine--a LOT harder. A whole bunch of us have been spayed and neutered in the last month, and even the spayed girls only felt a tiny bit bad for a day or so. He won't overdo--if he was stressing anything too much, he'll feel it and slow down of his own accord.
[notify]

Al Hirt

A Jazzy New- Orleans Kitty

Purred: Wed Dec 14, '11 7:05am PST 
What a cute kitten you are, and how wonderful to have a furrever home, we hope you enjoy your first Catmas!!! We visited your page and left you a present and a Friends Request.

And the others are right, you will heal and be fine. We know it scares our humans how quickly we want to run around after surgery.

The New Orleans Kittiescheerwavecat on moon
[notify]

Elijah Lil- Tweet

Purred: Wed Dec 14, '11 12:46pm PST 
Thank you everyone,

Monday night Elijah slept in his carrier crate and then yesterday morning I got out the dog crate. Kept him in it for the most part of the day but then he started the constant crying. I am still worried when he jumps onto the desk or table but otherwise I am trying to restrict on the stairs and catch him when he jumps onto something by lifting him and putting him back on the floor.

So I do not feel as worried as I did when I posted. smile Once he was able to eat helped also. Part of the running around was looking for food.

Now, I have a new question which I am going to start a new post for it.
Thanks again
[notify]