GO!

Kitten or Kangeroo??

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '11 2:59pm PST 
For the past couple of weeks, Lola has become obsessed with jumping on things which I understand is her finding her limits. However, one thing I just do not understand is her jumping on ME, specifically when I'm cleaning dishes or making dinner. Yesterday I was chopping some peppers, and Lola jumped up to my waist and then continued to climb up further to see what I was doing at the counter. Then she looked at me like she didn't know what to do next. It's weird because she won't do it to my boyfriend (who is much much taller than me) and it only happens in the kitchen. She also will just straight up jump at the wall and try to climb up it. I'm wondering if there is something I can get to give her the climbing she desires or a way to curb the behavior altogether. Help!
[notify]

Elijah Lil- Tweet

Purred: Sun Oct 30, '11 3:59pm PST 
Elijah does the same thing, when I am doing dishes he will jump up on me and then climb to my shoulders (if he is not already riding around on my shoulders)Elijah thinks he needs to oversee everything I do. He also has a thing about racing through the house playing with the dogs and then if I come a long he runs right up me to the top of my head so. I would love to get him a cat tower, but there is just no where in my budget to buy one not even a cheap one. frown
[notify]

Sterling

Go Gently Into- the Night

Purred: Mon Oct 31, '11 9:18am PST 
I think it's a kitten thing. I do it, too. Mom is just so much taller than most of the things in the house, so I'm just as tall as her! You know The Pirates of the Caribbean and Captain Barbosa and the monkey on his shoulder? Well Mom says she has a cat on her shoulder! laugh out loud I'm getting older and more experienced now so I jump from a chair to her shoulders without using my claws. When she was a kitten, our late Athena would jump up to Mom's shoulders and was discouraged from doing so. She eventually did quit and Mom kind of missed having her do so. I guess Mom is really a pirate at heart.
shrug
cat on moon

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Mon Oct 31, '11 10:23am PST 
My mom decided to invest in a cat tower when I started climbing curtains. It definitely helped meet climbing needs. She's never seen any of us climb the curtains since. We got one with an unobstructed vertical post (to simulate a tree) and got them interested in climbing it by pulling a toy up the post for them to follow. They are an investment, but there are good ideas on the internet for making them yourself too.
[notify]

Lola

I'm a survivor!

Purred: Mon Oct 31, '11 12:06pm PST 
I wouldn't mind having her on my shoulders, I feel like she has other motives. She's now learning that she's able to do a lot of other things (jump on top of chairs and tables, as well as knocking trashcans over) so at times, she is literally using me to get to the counter. She uses her claws to climb up me, which isn't bad because she only weighs a few pounds, but it'll be an issue later when she gets heavier. How I do I get her to sit on my shoulder without using her claws? (Sorry, I'm working on the writing as the pet thing!!)
[notify]