GO!

12 wk old kitten on a 3+ hour car trip?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gypsy

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 3:15am PST 
My dads are coming to pick me up in two weeks. I'm looking forward to going to my forever home, but the drive there will be 3 - 3 1/2 hours long. Can I hold it that long? Should they bring some sort of litterbox in the car? Since I don't really know them yet, is it a bad idea to let me out of my carrier on the drive?

Dad read somewhere that you can get a pee pad for puppies and put in in the crate and put a purr pad on top of that. I've never seen a purr pad yet, but the theory is if I do have an accident on the way home, it'll go through the purr pad into the pee pad, and I won't have to sit in a puddle the rest of the trip.

He also read it might be a good idea to put pee pads on the car seat under and behind the carrier, in case I'm standing when I have an accident.

Any ideas?
[notify]

Leo

purrrr

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 5:59am PST 
I had a three hour ride to my forever home. We had a room in our crate for a small cardboard box of litter. I used it to poop, but I also layed down in it...lol. I also vomited. So my mom still laughs at the memory of me coming out of my crate when she got me home...tail held high, purring loudly, with both poop and vomit on me. You might need your first bath, Gypsey!

I would definintely NOT let the cat out of the crate. With a towel or blanket she will be snug and comfy...no need to get out. Even if the doors of the vehicle are all closed to prevent escape from the car she could hide under a seat and not come out, then later crawl under the brake pedal or something.

Good luck!

Edited by author Fri Oct 14, '11 6:01am PST

[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 8:57am PST 
When Randy was little and had some follow-up vet visits, he couldn't always hold it for the 40-minute round trip. He would get very agitated and yell when he'd go on the mat in his carrier, and he would furiously try to bury it. We put some litter in a small non-skid dish and put it in the back of his carrier. It wasn't big enough to let him climb in, but he could use it and it seemed to help him not be upset.

The pee pads sound like a good idea too. I agree with Leo that she should not be let out of her crate along the way. Kittens are wriggly and fast! Our cubs have cozy mats in their carriers, and they each have a stuffed animal that goes along with them for trips so they have something to cuddle.

Gypsy, you are so pretty! Congratulations on your new forever home, and have fun with your new dads!
[notify]

Miss- Elizabeth- Bennett

Looking for Mr.- Darcy

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 11:59am PST 
Gypsy - you are indeed a pretty kitten, SO wonderful to read you are going to your furrever home. Glad the trip there will not be too long.

We agree with the other posters, some "Puppy Pee Pads" in the carrier should work fine. And NO - DO NOT let her out of the carrier until she is home and inside the house. Such a small kitten could hide in the car, and as another poster said, get under the brake petal.

Are you staying on CATSTER Gypsy, we hope so, as that way we can read about you in your new home with your Dads.

Happy Purrs,
The New Orleans Kittiesway to gocheerdancingapplausecat on moon
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 12:37pm PST 
Thanks everyone. I'll try the pee pads and some sort of litter box as well and hope for the best. And I'll make sure dad has some kitten shampoo on hand in case I end up covered in something when I get home.

They picked up some food today, so I think theyre almost ready. I know they want to childproof the cabinets under the sinks because that's where all the cleaning supplies are, but I think everything else is taken care of.

And I plan on sticking around for awhile. They don't know what the heck they're doing, so I'm sure I'll be asking more questions later. smile
[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 3:13pm PST 
I think I put a very small litterbox in a carrier for Roxy when we brought her home at 12 weeks, it was also a 3+ hour ride. I don't think she used the box though. We did let her out of the carrier and she hung out on the console in between the front seats for a lot of the trip.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 5:29pm PST 
Gypsy: Tell your new dads to get some unscented baby wipes. These work well in cleaning up furry baby butts also. And less stressful than giving a kitten a bath on their first night in their new home.

We look forward to seeing you around CATSTER. Lots of great cats and their people here, and they are always ready to help with answers concerning being owned by a cat.

The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Ella

Black is the new- black

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 3:01pm PST 
Hi Gipsy! I am new on catster but I thought I could share my experience in travelling with a cat. My cat Ella is around 7 months old and recently I had to leave for another country on a 9+ hour drive, and come back in two weeks. My cat is very dominant and aggressive when things don't go her way and gets anxiety attacks in the car even on a 20min trip, so I was facing a challenge.
I suppose I will be the only person to say it, but I actually HAD to keep the cat out of the carrier box, because she wouldn't stop meowing while inside. My vet recommended some plant extracts to calm her down(NB not to sedate her or make her drowsy, just to help her anxiety) called Liquid Nutricalm, and I must say they worked just fine, the cat was a lot more relaxed and slept on my lap (i have posted even a photo)most of the time. She wasn't allowed to eat 12 hours prior to the trip and during the trip, also no water during the trip. She had no needs whatsoever on the road, not even when we stopped from time to time. All in all both times it was a relaxing and clean trip. You might want to place a towel or blanket on the seats to protect the fabrics from getting scratched, another thing I also did was to have her cat leash handy in case she started climbing on the driver's shoulders and head smile
Well, I hope that was helpful, good luck!
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 4:52pm PST 
We're going to try using a photograph box as a little mini-litterbox for my trip home. It looks like it'll fit in one end of my carrier and hopefully I'll still have enough room on the other end to lounge for a few hours.

Two more weeks... Dad's starting to bounce off the walls. smile
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 5:16pm PST 
LOL! This will be an excruciatingly long two weeks, especially since you've got everything ready for your new arrival. The only thing missing is Gypsy!

May I ask, is Gypsy staying with her mama cat and littermates until she is 12 weeks old?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2