GO!

Getting a 12 wk old kitten, have a litterbox question

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 12:15pm PST 
Gypsy, everything is crossed that your new Daddy isn't too allergic to you. You sound like the purrfect breed of cat fur him. Round of apaws to him for giving you a chance. I am sure your Mommy is very excited. We sure hope it all works out for all of you to be a family!

hug
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 1:00pm PST 
You also look a little like a Siberian - they are a non-allergenic breed too!
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 4:40pm PST 
And I've read that bathing cats can work wonders with allergies. Great idea to give that a try. Hope it all goes well for you!
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 1:26pm PST 
Put up the cat tree today -- it's huge.

There are a few spots where you're supposed to hang toys. Any suggestions for something to put up there that's fairly durable? I don't want something she'll just chew pieces off of.
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 2:46pm PST 
I'd probably wait and see what types of toys interest her. Two of my three cats were very interested in the dangly feathers that came with our cat tower. But they were ripped off within 2 days. One of them also ate the feathers. (I was in the room, but he was so quick.) So, I'd get to know your cat a bit first. Our cat tree has nothing dangling from it now and they still enjoy it alot. We have other toys for them to chase and have fun with while supervised since the most fun things (feathers, shoe shrings, etc...) could also get eaten.
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Fri Oct 14, '11 11:35pm PST 
Gypsy it sounds like your Dads are all ready for you to come home. I bet they are so excited!

Very cool that you will have a cat tree to climb right away. They will have so much fun watching you play. We always took the hanging cat toys off because usually it was something with feathers and I eat feathers so Mommy is really careful with any toys that have feather on them.

cat on moon
[notify]

Jane, Lydia- & Mary- Bennett

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 7:25am PST 
We agree that often the most mundane things are the favorite cat toys. Mine also love the plastic rings from milk containers, the tops off bottled water, cardboard boxes and best of all plastic straws. Since I only get fast food about every three months, and have several cats, I picked up a box of cheap plastic straws and every now and then get out some and throw them on the floor and watch the younger ones enjoy them. They like to carry the crossways in their mouths, and one of them, Callie does this and growls while she walks around. Oh, and paper bags from the grocery store.... If you want to by a few toys, Family Dollar and Dollar have some inexpensive things....plastic balls and felt mice. Would give you all an idea of what she likes as far as toys.

Yes, a kitten playing is great entertainment - that's why I don't have HBO or Showtimes.....I have The Kitten Channel....MOL....MOL.

And if you can find another Savannah, Gypsy would do well with a friend. And if she does not take to baths as first, there are Cat Bathing Wipes available.

Good Luck, we can't wait to welcome precious little Gypsy and her Dads to the CATSTR family. Just a side note. I lost four cats (and everything I ever owned) in Hurricane Katrina. On CATSER I found support and understanding. I had joined another on-line cat group, bot someone posted about "the cretins who left their pets behind during a hurricane" CATSTER people are understanding, kind and helpful and always ready with info for a person who is being adopted by a cat for the first time.

The New Orleans Kittieswelcomebig hug

Edited by author Sat Oct 15, '11 7:28am PST

[notify]

♥- Roxy- ♥

Polydactyl Maine- Coons Rule!

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 2:47pm PST 
Congrats on the kitten! It sounds like you have a pretty good plan for reducing allergies.

What I do with new kittens is I keep them in one area at first, until they are more settled in the house and a little older (it's also easier to keep them out of mischief that way.) For Roxy we started with her in one room when we could not watch her, and just to the top floor only when we could watch her.

As far as shampoo there are some I believe that are supposed to reduce allergens as well so I'd go for one of those, like the Allerpet shampoo.
I use Earthbath mostly for kittens because it's gentle, they have one that is hypoallergenic and soap free which is nice.
[notify]

ZOEY

Growing up with - TORTITUDE

Purred: Sat Oct 15, '11 5:43pm PST 
Ping pong balls are real fun for kitties to play with. Zack and I loved them when we were kitties and still do. Same with the caps to plastic water bottles.

happy dance

Edited by author Sat Oct 15, '11 5:44pm PST

[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '11 3:10am PST 
Fortunately most cat toys aren't expensive, but I think the Dads have gone a bit overboard... I've got a big cat tree to climb on, a few different scratching posts, a turbo scratcher, catnip mice, little plastic springs, some kind of puzzle box with holes in the top and sides I can reach in to fish out toys or food, a crinkle tunnel, and even ping pong balls, plastic straws, cardboard boxes and paper bags.

They've got laser pointers, da bird, cat dancer and cat charmer.

There's a water fountain, the food I've been eating (Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lovers Soul) both dry and wet. For treats I can have Greenies, or freeze dried chicken or shrimp or beef liver. And a little food ball that lets kibble out one piece at a time. Who knows why?

I've got a Beastie Band collar with a ID tag on the way, a soft sided carrier (complete with impromptu litter box for the trip home), a walking harness and leash (Savannahs are supposed to get into walking especially when started young).

There's window ledges with soft, "self-warming" pads all ready for me, with bird houses and bird feeders outside to watch.

And hopefully all the lovin' a kitten could want.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3