GO!

Help, he's biting!!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Merlin

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 5:05pm PST 
Thanks for all the good advice. Every bit helps! smile

What age do cats usually teeth at? It could very well be that he is over excited too. I will be sure to offer more toys and make him play with those if he tries to bite.

Sterling, I loved your story. He has lots of food. Plus its kitten food so it is nice and small and easy to eat, plus canned food as well. He does love his food.

I'm glad to hear you guys grew out of your biting, even when it was bad.

If he is teething, is there toys or anything I can get for him for that? I know for dogs there are but cats are different... I can't imagine teething toys for cats.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 6:52am PST 
Hunter bit as a kitten, grew out of it for a while, then resorted back to biting. When he was little, I tried everything. Hunter would bite and hold on. He never chewed my hand, just held on for dear life! I tried hissing, putting pennies in a jar and shaking it, squirting him with water, saying "Owww", saying "No" and tapping his nose. Nothing worked. Finally, what got Hunter to let go was blowing a puff of air in his face. He would get startled and let go. Thats when I learned not to play with him with my hand. If he would go after my hand, I would redirect him with a toy. Finally he out grew it. He turned 1 and things were fine.

Then he turned a year and a half old, it started again. This time it was while I slept and it was my arms! He was older this time, more bite pressure. It hurt! It was a lot of trial and error. He wasn't sick. Had a clean bill of health. I learned he didn't like his belly touched. I also learned that he didn't like me to snuggle with him while I was sleeping. (Hunter sleeps a couple of hours on my bed at night, right next to my head) I also learned that he was bored. So between those 3 things, again, I got him out of the biting habit! However, occasionally he'll bite when I have to brush his belly. There are just somethings you have to do! smile

It is possible to get them not to bite. You just have to figure out the cause.

Hunter started teething at the end of the 4 month mark. He actually lost 2 teeth right infront of me. I have to agree with Ralphie & Randy. Drinking Straws! Hunter LOVES them. Especially the big ones from Dunkin Donuts. He still loves straws to this day. Actually I caught him last week going into the trash and taking a straw out of a can! Good Luck! smile
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:12am PST 
Ours both started what I assume to be the teething process at just under four months old. Ralphie lost his baby teeth over about a two-week period when he was around 5 months old and his permanent teeth were grown in by about 6 months old. I don't know how typical this is. Randy is currently almost 5 months old and in full bite-crazy mode, though he hasn't lost any baby teeth yet.

As far as toys, besides the plastic drinking straws that were great chew-toys for both of ours, Ralphie also liked to chew on a rubber human-baby pacifier. (That had the added benefit of being hilarious for the humans to watch a kitten walk around with a binky in his mouth!) Randy ignores the pacifiers, but he likes rope. He has a couple of rope toys that are marketed for puppies and he really likes to chew and pull them.

How is your Foster doing, anyway? He's sure a cutie!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2