GO!

When do I start wearing a collar?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 12:06pm PST 
Amber is a mostly indoor cat, but she wears a breakaway collar 24-7. She is chipped too, of course, but I don't feel thats enough, so she has a tag with her name, my phone number, and her togethertag id number on it. Just make sure its a collar that actually breaks away instead of just stretching, and it will be fine. I would just leave the bell off.
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Fri Aug 12, '11 7:00pm PST 
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I see the collar issue is quite divided but at least less flammable than the wet vs dry vs raw food issue lol! I definitely have an actual break away collar, not a stretch.

I have a question for QGM-Harlequin, do you use the flat tags instead of the hanging tags out of preference or is there a debate about hanging tags being annoying or throwing off the balance of kitites? I'm genuinely curious, not starting a debate smile
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Sat Aug 13, '11 2:30pm PST 
The hanging tags are annoying to me, I don't think my cats care that much (although I did find kitty tooth marks on the plastic tag one of my cats was wearing...)
I also think the hanging tags are more likely to rub the fur off the cat's neck, and also more likely to get caught on things.
I have used hanging tags in the past and had them get caught which results of course in the break-away collar coming loose, and it can be hard to find where they lost the collars in the house. So with the flat CollarTags there is nothing to get caught so they don't lose their collars as often.
Once my cat Church lost his collar. I could not figure out where it went. Then I was feeding my sugar gliders, who have a large wire cage which is covered in a fleece cover on 3 sides, but the front is not covered. I happened to look up, and there was Church's collar, dangling down from the cage near the top. He must have been laying on top of the cage (the cats like to do this) leaned over the front and his hanging tag got caught through the wires of the cage and wouldn't come loose. Thank goodness I use breakaway collars because if he had tried to jump off the cage with the collar caught there, well I don't want to think about it.
I have also heard of pets getting their tags caught in floor a/c vents if you have that type (I don't), and the split ring that holds the tag getting caught in the fabric of a blanket or upholstery.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '11 10:55am PST 
Hunter is on day 2 of wearing his beastie band collar. He doesn't even know its there!! shh YAY!!! Now just waiting for the tag to come in.

wave
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Mon Aug 15, '11 6:50pm PST 
Thanks again for the replies all. As usual when I post something in these forums, I generally end up with something to think about. I do like the idea of the "flat" tags, I may just look into them! I got a pretty little kitten collar for Athena (just turned 11 weeks) and she manages to lose it once a day somehow. Her big sister Tigger (16 weeks) has been wearing one for weeks and has never lost it once and she's just as active or more. I'm thinking some of the break away collars must not clasp as well even though they are the same brand. My newest addition Apollo is also 16 weeks and he's just too skittish to even attempt to put a collar on yet lol. I do have a nice blue one for him when he is ready!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2