GO!

When do I start wearing a collar?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tigger

Purred: Tue Aug 9, '11 2:17pm PST 
My daddy is wondering if there is a best time to start wearing a collar for myself and my siblings? I'm 15 weeks old and have been wearing a kitten collar already for about two weeks and I like it ok but I made him get rid of the nasty bell. I have a 10 week old sister who is not wearing a collar, I'm starting to wonder if she's getting jealous! He was wondering if there is any tried and true rules or if it's just as soon as we are all ok wearing them. He also wonders if he should try to add the bell back into the mix when I get older or just leave it be. I have a five year old sister, Pumpkin, she wears a collar with tags and a bell and she seems just fine with it!
[notify]

Archer

You idiot...

Purred: Tue Aug 9, '11 2:55pm PST 
Unless you guys go outside, I dont see a need for a collar... My guys are indoor cats and I have them microchipped in case they were ever to get out (Heaven forbid). They've never worn a collar...
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 2:51am PST 
My 5 all go outside but I would not entertain putting a collar on them, I haveseen pics of cats that have got a foreleg stuck in them, the wounds are horrendous.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 6:51am PST 
I wore a collar for a little bit after I got neutered around 4 months old. I kept on taking it off though. I had mom get rid of those yucky bells too! Too much noise. I don't like the noise of the clangy tags. So I took them off. Then I stashed them somewhere, mom still hasn't found it. However, I've escaped outside 5 times. So mom just ordered me a Beastie band!! its a collar that stretches. Plus she ordered me a tag that goes on the collar, doesn't hang from it. This way I'll be safe if I go outside. It hasn't come in yet, but hopefully I won't take it off. I'm sneaky like that!
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 1:34pm PST 
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm surprised how few of you (so far) use collars. The shelter I came from specifically asked daddy if he would make sure I was chipped and collared. He collars all of his kitties because escaping is always a possibility and my big sister Pumpkin LOVES to escape when you least expect it. Daddy has a nice 6' privacy fence in the back yard but Pumpkin could jump that in a blink!

He thinks chips are an awesome idea but a collar is even more preventative because it has my name, phone number, and address on a tag, that way I don't even end up at the pound, someone can just call or bring me to my home smile

He also uses break away collars so there are no nasty accidents like some kitties have with a collar frown Also in his town even if I am registered if I'm found outside without my tag he will be fined, that's just not fair! Collars also add a little more personality to my siblings and I, we all get different colors and designs smile

He is aware that the collar issues is very divided among our kitty parents and respects others decisions in that matter, he doesn't get mad like he does when he hears about declawing, grr!!
[notify]

Cheyenne

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 3:26pm PST 
Cheyenne wears a harness rather than a collar. She is 50/50 indoor/outdoor. The break-away collars kept coming off in random places so it kind of defeated the purpose of a collar. I decided on the harness so that if she was to ever snag on anything it hopefully wouldn't choke her like a regular collar might. She had no problems adjusting to the harness!
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 7:33pm PST 
Yep, some break aways come off way too easy and it also depends on the kitties personality/activity level. My brother Turbo (RIP) lost his daily, my daddy's old kitty Spook (RIP) never broke his off his entire life. There are some that find the perfect blend of safety vs durability but it's hit and miss.
[notify]

Kit Kat

curiosity never- hurt me!

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 7:52pm PST 
All three of us wears a collar. Mommy changes it often because she likes an excuse to buy us cute things. It took Cat awhile to get use to having one on. I had one from the day after dad brought me home (I was about 4 months) and now when Mommy takes off my collar, I just sit patiently and wait to put it on then I gets a treat. My sisters caught on and now they all let Mom put on the collar with the bells and a tag. We're all chipped and indoor only cats but she likes the added protection.
[notify]

Tigger

I do a trick,- you give me your- sandwich.

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 10:26pm PST 
Meowmie has me wear a collar because I am aloud to go outside during the day sometimes when the weather is nice. I used to be a feral kitty, so I need my fresh air. I have had this one for four months and never lost it. It was an inexpensive collar from Walmart, it isn't break away, but it's on loose enough so I can slip it off if I need to. My fursister and furbrother are strictly indoors, and they don't wear a collar. They used to, but the bells were too loud at night for meowmie, plus they kept losing their collars. All well, now I get the pretty collar and they don't. Hehe. smile
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 11:57am PST 
My cats are all indoor only and they all wear collars and are microchipped. Most of them do not wear hanging tags, we either use collars that are embroidered with our info, or CollarTags from Boomerang Tags which hook onto the collar like a nameplate. I put either "Indoor Only" or "Lost if Alone" on them so people know they are not outdoor cats.
One of my cats does wear a hanging tag, because he has medical issues and allergies and I want people to be aware of them,.. All the info would not fit on embroidery or on the CollarTag so I got him a 2-sided hanging tag with info.

I think it is good to start your kitten with a collar when they are fairly young because the younger they are the more easily they adjust to wearing it. Mine had no trouble adjusting to wearing a collar because they had been wearing harnesses for outings (and t-shirts and things!) since they were babies so a collar was no big deal.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2