GO!

Cats are so much smarter

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Hermoine

play 23 hours a- day!

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 5:03pm PST 
All of my cats can/could do tricks. I clicker trained 3 cats so far. I think they catch on rather fast. They do not have such a long attention span as dogs, but I did have one who could work for 45 minutes or so as long as I handed over the chicken. smile Hermione loves to follow a target. She picks up things fast.

This is a amazing website. This person is a wonderful clicker trainer:
http://www.useyourclicker.com/

As for training *ME*, yes they are extremely good at this!! smile

--des
[notify]

~Honey~

Forever loved. I- keep her in my- heart.

Purred: Wed Jul 20, '11 10:25pm PST 
We have had Siamese & Birmans. Only one siamese would fetch.

Our first Birman would sit next to me while I was on my laptop. He watched the pointer on the screen & pawwed it. After thinking about it he looked at the back of laptop screen. Then he look at the front, again then the back. He just did not see who was moving that mouse.

So when we got Brownie, I found that if I scratch his fur by his tail, the little tongue would come out. So more scratching he was licking. From that I gave him my chin to lick to get kisses. Within a few months our older Birman cat Honey saw this behavior. She thought about it & began licking our cheeks. To get her to lick on command, we began to point to our cheek & lean it to her. From that we only had to point to our cheek to get a kiss. Honey was so easy to condition her to do tricks. I would point to my lap & made my index finger circling like a lasso. She learned I wanted her here. I stood next to a recliner chair & circled with my index finger again she jump up there. Anyone that circled with the index finger would get her. I miss Honey so much. So Cookie has big sockings to fill. I'm working on verbal commands of "Out" & "In" with Cookie to the screened porch. Brownie knows them already.

But for one cat to teach another cat a trick. Now that is smart!!
[notify]

Hermoine

play 23 hours a- day!

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:13am PST 
I had one cat teach another to drink out of a faucet. Cats are much better at this than dogs. I have heard of clicker trainers who also clicker trained their cats. The cat sits and watches the dog and then gets up and does what the dog has struggled to finally master in one go. That has never happened to me. But I'm sure it COULD happen.

--des
[notify]

Zeus

I live to- protect my- human.

Purred: Tue Aug 2, '11 10:58pm PST 
well I can detect seizures, the ADA told my mommy that cats are not smart enough to be considered service animals. Well THPPP on you ADA

Baybee my 4 year old "sister" can figure out where the treat is - even tho all area's smell like the meat

and Pouncer the 12 year old can open up locked doors!
[notify]

Wolverine- Lightning- Bolt

She's A Lady

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '11 7:18am PST 
Hello there. I am Wolverine Lightning Bolt, and I'm a fluffyful, lady-like, southern belle kitty. My human butler has been teaching me some agility. I only do it because I just love ham. I thought I would just share that with yall.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2