GO!

Is it possible for me to grow too fast?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Teddy Bearz

I love you. - Will you love me- too?

Purred: Sun Dec 19, '10 12:50am PST 
See last post for an update!!! 10 month old kitten now!

Hi my name is Teddy Bearz, and I am a 7 1/2 month old Maine Coon Kitten. My mommie is a bit concerned about me. You see, she measured me earlier this week, and I was 42 inches long. That means I grew 6 inches in the last month alone. And for the last few days, my mommie says that I am getting considerably larger each day.

My mommie says she will measure me when this growth spurt ends. Since I drive her nuts by attacking the tape measurer.

She also says that she has to spend $25 a week to feed me. And that it is difficult right now to keep me from getting too thin.

I know handsome Maine Coons like myself can grow somewhat large. But I am still a growing baby and already larger than most adults.

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 1:52am PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Dec 19, '10 7:37am PST 
Maine Coons grow until they are 5 yrs old, and babies, do have growth spurts. Here is a link on Maine Coons, and farther down, on the left, is more reference material. wave

guess I should give you the link, mol. laugh out loud

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/maine.html

Edited by author Sun Dec 19, '10 7:38am PST

[notify]

Teddy Bearz

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 12:54am PST 
But Bumpur, that is the problem. I was already bigger than most 5 year old Maine Coons and I am still a baby. Just today mommie got home from work and said, whoa! I am growing that fast. I didn't even grow this fast as a small kitten. Mommie is starting to wonder if I am part bobcat. laugh out loud
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 9:36am PST 
This happened to me too. Mom would wake up the next morning and SWEAR I grew overnight. Not just saying that, I really did! Maine Coons do have larger growth spurts than most kitties, not unusual. Don't worry. It just means you're strong and healthy. wave
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 4:04pm PST 
He's fine, he looks about normal, per say, for a MC that age, I know what the yearlings look like, he is not as long as them, mol. What MC's are you referring to, that he looks bigger than them? What do his parents look like?

Bump's mommy was on the small size, his daddy was about as big as a pony, mol, Bump takes after his daddy. Bump hit 20 lbs as a yearling, mol, and, his back is up to my knees, mol.

He is a beautiful kitty and I think he looks great!! way to go

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Dec 20, '10 5:13pm PST 
Don't worry, Teddy Bearz, I think someone gave you some bad info about how big a 5 year old MC is! If you are a registered MC your humans may want to go to a cat show to see what those kittens look like laugh out loud You look like a big guy, but some of those kitties are mosters. Meowma saw a 24 pound female that wasn't 2 yet at a show and THOUGHT that was huige until she went to NC last week and there was a mature male whose head, NOT counting all that hair, was seriously almost the size of a cereal bowl. He absolutely looked like a small lion filling up tyhe 2 cages he was in; Meowma didn't see his people but thought they should have a sign on that monster's cage answering all the FAQ they surely get constantly!
[notify]

Teddy Bearz

Purred: Tue Dec 21, '10 2:42am PST 
Anyways, thanx for the reassurance folks. Maybe I just did all my growing at one time, and will stop. A vet visit wouldn't hurt either.

Oh and thanx for checking out my baby pics from when I first moved in with my mommie. My mommie didn't adpot me until I was 3 months old. She will update my pics tonight.

Oh and my mom did check on the size of Maine Coons. I am only 6 1/2 inches from the world record! One more good month and I am there!
dancing
[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Tue Dec 21, '10 4:23am PST 
I get that at shows all the time, from spectators, how much does he weigh? Then, how old is he? They are just amazed, because, for the most part, the majority of them, have rescue kitties, that are on the smaller size, per say, and they didn't know kitties could get that big, mol. big grin

Just out of curiosity, and to learn something new, mol, from where, to where, are you measuring him, cause, now I gotta measure Bump, mol. laugh out loud

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Teddy Bearz

Purred: Tue Dec 21, '10 5:05am PST 
For the world record, they measure from the tip of nose to the tip of the tail. Weights aren't used since it is no indication of actual size.

Pictures do Teddy Bearz's length no justice. Much bigger in real life. Tonight he was accidentally body slamming my furniture and walls while playing and jumping in the air. Boom.... His body is growing so fast, he can't adjust his dynamics. And when reaching for a toy, his paw was slamming on the floor loudly and reverberating.. Boom.... His rear feet are 7 inches long. Only 1 1/2 inches shorter than my own. Frankenkitty..... LOL....laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Dec 21, '10 6:30am PST 
You do have to remember that a lot of owners never bother actually measuring their kitty either or if they do I guess don't report it. I looked, and to me, unless the woman who owns him is a giant, "Stewie" doesn't look as big as a lot of MC and Ragdoll kitties I've seen--and help me here-48 inches? I just swear I've seen bigger cats (and not wildcat mixes either). Maybe Guiness could sponser a 'measuring booth" at every show. laugh out loud I do no go from the end of the nose to the end of the til bone and don't measure the hair.
Do any of you show kitties think I'm nuts, and do you just look bigger in person or something?
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3