GO!

Black & White Cat Breeds

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trina

Hide N' Go Seek

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 4:28pm PST 
What cat breeds come in black and white or tuxedo? I saw one at the vet and I think it might have be an American Shorthair, but I'm not sure. It was a tuxedo and very adorable. My best guess is that it is an American Shorthair. It wasn't the regular black and white, but more of a smoky black and white. But it had a bit longer fur, like a Persian that is cut short. The cat was mostly white with very little black, like maybe only 1/8 of the body. I was thinking that it could be a Turkish Angora.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 4:56pm PST 
It was most likely a mixed breed kitty; if not there are quite a few breeds to choose from. But American Shorthairs and Turkish Angoras look almost nothing alike;
ASH- noticably round head, rounded ears, nose short but not flat like a Persian, stocky build, short coat.
T-Ang--longer head, tall ears, long hair (but not like a Persian) slim built cat.
[notify]

Chloe ~ Itty- Bitty Angel- Kitty

Itty bitty Chloe- kitty

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 8:56am PST 
Black and white (patched or tuxedo) is pretty common in Domestics (shorthair or longhair), and notsomuch in pedigrees (we're not fancy looking enough for them? mol).
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 11:25am PST 
Tuxedo cats are very special - my mom says so! wink
[notify]

Buddy

Diamond in the- Rough

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 11:44am PST 
I'm a tuxedo cat! I have a mostly black coat, but lots of white on my paws and around my face. My fur is short and quite shiny. I am pretty gorgeous, but also quite humble! wink
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 1:50pm PST 
Don't worry Chloe, black and white is fancy enough; you do see them fairly often in:
British Shorthair
Scottish Fold
Japanese Bobtail
Persian
Manx
Just to name a few; it's called "bicolor" at shows though.
[notify]

Lowell

Regional Winner!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 3:20pm PST 
...Also Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats, Turkish Angoras, Turkish Vans...

It seems that the tuxedo pattern (white bib, belly, paws) may be more typical of American (and possibly European) cats than the black and white cats of other countries. While there are many Japanese black and white cats (and no, most Japanese cats aren't bobtails), I've never seen a Japanese tuxedo cat. Maine Coons, which are really just a variety of American moggy that has a purebred version, come in the same color variations as regular domestic cats, including tuxedo coloration.
[notify]

Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 5:10pm PST 
Keep in mind that some cat breeds have pretty limited color classes--with only one or a handful of colors recognized. Russian Blues, Siamese, Abyssinians, Somalis...Even some of these breeds have their roots in cats indigenous to certain regions. No snobbery involved, just biodiversity.
[notify]

Houdini

Hand over the- chicken!

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 9:13pm PST 
I had a MC tuxedo and a domestic shorthair tuxedo! They rule!!

--des
[notify]

Benny Grunch

Will Meow for- Treats!!!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 6:33am PST 
I am a Tuxedo cat, just a Domestic Short Hair.

Benny Grunch
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2