GO!

Does my new kitten have a bloated stomach?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purrogie

Purred: Sun Mar 15, '09 9:49am PST 
Just curious, and I thought I'd ask some of you with a bit more experience. Does it look like my little kitten has a larger than normal stomach? It seems like he might to us, but maybe that's just paranoia.

When we adopted him a few days ago, he was skinny, but seems as though he's begun gaining weight. He's had mushy poop since day one. It hasn't been complete diarrhea, but more like "cow pie."

I've already brought him to the vet due to the diarrhea. He was de-wormed as well, prior to this vet visit. He's roughly 10 weeks old, they're not completely sure due to his size. His stool analysis proved that there were no parasites/worms.

Any thoughts?

He's playful, happy, doesn't sleep or cry abnormally. Everything else seems great, he loves the house, is social enough, and aside from the diarrhea, there's really nothing wrong. He doesn't act nervous or scared, or show signs of anything being wrong...

Here's a photo of him drinking, side profile for the stomach view:

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5033/stomach.jpg

Update : More photos for reference...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3154/stomach1.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2253/stomach2.jpg

(Note: his stomach is shaved, the ASPCA wasn't sure if he was a male or female, so they prepped for both operations beforehand)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by author Sun Mar 15, '09 7:08pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Mar 15, '09 5:06pm PST 
Who wormed him? You or the vet? What was he wormed with? big grin

What do you feed him? He should be getting kitten only food, and several
small meals thru out the day, and always access to fresh clean water. big grin

As far as his age, the general rule of thumb is 1 lb per month. What does
he weigh? Just put him on the bathroom scale, or some have baby scales.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sun Mar 15, '09 5:38pm PST 
he may just be growing. kittens look werid sometimes because all body parts dont grow.

usually you worm a cat once then re-worm 3 weeks later. its possible he still has worms and will need another dose 3 weeks from the last time he was.

Edited by author Sun Mar 15, '09 5:39pm PST

[notify]

Purrogie

Purred: Sun Mar 15, '09 6:09pm PST 
Thanks for the replies, guys.

He was wormed by the ASPCA before we adopted him, not sure which kind. Not sure if he was wormed twice, or not. The paperwork didn't specify a second time, so maybe that'll do it.

He's a small guy, 2.1 lbs at the moment (as of Friday).

We feed him Iam's kitten soft and dry "pro health" (all kitten food). He tends to eat more wet, and cover the dry, eventually eating more of it throughout the day.

The vet gave me anti-diarrhea medication and ran a stool test and found nothing... so I'm not really sure what's going on. Bad vet, misdiagnosed, or something else? Who knows.

After a first time $120 fee, I'm not too happy to say the least.

Edited by author Sun Mar 15, '09 6:13pm PST

[notify]

Cruiser

Top 25 Winner- Region 1- 2011-2012

Purred: Mon Mar 16, '09 3:42pm PST 
At 10 weeks, he should only be on just one kitten food, just one brand, just
one type. Its the food that is giving him diarea, kittens have very very
sensitive digestive systems. Pick one, then keep him on it. Not familiar
Pro Health, what brand is that, who makes it? With kittens that young, you
can't mix brands, feeds, types. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

I ran into that prob, when the pet sitter gave the 2 10 week old kittens,
adult food, came home from a show to 2 sick kittens, throwing up and
diarea.

My vet x-rayed their intestines, and found they were inflammed, and put
them on Metrodalazine, which I can't spell, some call it Flagyl. The
breeder I got them from, had started them on Purina Kitten Chow, not
the greatest food, but thats what they have to stay on, until they are
7 months old.

You might want to go to another vet, and ask them to x-ray his intestines.
What medication did they put him on?

Best of luck, hope this helps, takes lots of pictures now, they grow so
fast. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Lavender

Purred: Mon Mar 16, '09 7:59pm PST 
Hello Purrogie,

A bloated belly in a kitten may be a sign of worms or overeating. Since there are no signs of worms in his poo, it's probably the latter. Keep giving him the diarrhoea medication until his stool hardens. At the mean time, give him a diet of boiled chicken. Boiled chicken is good for their stomachs as it's mild and eases digestion.

However, if he suddenly loses all appetite and completely stops all activity, bring him to the vet immediately, whatever time it is. I've lost 3 fostered kittens this way due to this unknown virus with these symptoms.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 10:36am PST 
It could be as simple as feeding him too much at the time. Little kittens with free choice food often eat until their little bellies are like balloons! Can I suggest,on a day you don't have to work, only giving him a couple of tablespoonfuls of food every four hours or so, and see if it doesn't improve his poopies and his belly balloon. If that's the case, you might want to feed him just a little in the morning, then feed him again right when you get home and again before you go to bed. If you don't work outside the home, then just make time to feed him the little bits every few hours. If you do determine that he's eating too much at one sitting, then your problem is easy to correct. If you don't want' to or can't feed him that many times a day, you can get a self feeder with a timer on it.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Mar 17, '09 5:17pm PST 
I just now went to your links and looked at the pictures--that kitten's tummy doesn't look "that" big to me--it just looks like he's pretty thin anyway, and is probably eating way more at one time than he's used to. He is a cute baby, by the way; Meowma wants a dot-belly cat like that, but I say, as usual, NO.

Edited by author Tue Mar 17, '09 5:18pm PST

[notify]

Purrogie

Purred: Wed Mar 18, '09 4:50am PST 
Great replies, thank you all. He was prescribed Flagyl, and his diarrhea is slowing down, he's a bit more solid, so I guess it is working. His stomach is still big and I have been watching him eat, he doesn't seem to be eating. (I'm following the amount per serving based on his weight, and weaning him off of the wet food)

He's still very active, so unless something changes, I'll just have to keep an eye on him.

And yes, he's very cute... it's so sad to see all of the possible negative outcomes. That aside, here's a video of him in HD, playing with a toy mouse for about 5 minutes. http://vimeo.com/3734685
[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Wed Mar 18, '09 5:15pm PST 
All my kittens have been like that.
[notify]