GO!

When can you tell if a kitten will be longhaired?? (what age?)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Wed Dec 19, '07 10:08pm PST 
Hello!
I have a stray/feral kitten I rescued. When I first rescued him at 6 weeks old he looked very fluffy with longer hair than most kittens that age I've seen, and I thought he would be a long haired cat. Now he is about 10 weeks old and he looks less fluffy but still a plush coat. In the photos on his page he is about 6-8 weeks old...

I am trying to figure out if he is going to be long haired or short haired! Does anyone know when their fur starts really getting long or when you can tell they're a long haired cat (or not)? I only know about Maine Coons and they always look fluffy, but I know a lot of longhaired cats it's hard to tell when they are young...

Edited by author Wed Dec 19, '07 10:13pm PST

[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '07 4:57am PST 
i think at the very least he may end up a DMH. he's not quite as luffy as a maine coon, but pretty darn fluffy all the same. i was fluffier so mom and me think medium hair for sure.
[notify]

Church

I'm a model!

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '07 10:19pm PST 
Thanks! Anyone else wanna take a guess? I just put up new/current photos on Church's page, so most of the photos on his main page are new ones I just took, at 10 weeks old.
[notify]

Lucius Cornelius

I'm a survivor

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 6:34am PST 
Yea, I would have to say Medium Hair.

I rescued a stray kitten (Lucius, at about 3-4 months old) a couple of years ago and I noticed immediately that he would be a long hair because of his tail. He has the bushiest tail of any cat I ever had!...Check out his pics if you like! Your little one seems to have shorter hair than my Lucius....but thicker fur than my Husi (who is definitely a short hair).

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Tory

*purrr*

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 7:41pm PST 
Church is a domestic shorthair.

Very young kittens will have fuzz that makes it hard to tell if they are long or shorthaired a lot of the time. generally this fuzz gives way to either a short or long coat starting around 8 weeks old.

There is really no such thing as a domestic medium hair. A cat either has two genes for long hair and is a domestic longhair, or has at least one gene for short hair and is a domestic shorthair. You can tell the difference between the two most easily by looking at the tail: longhairs have a fluffy/plumed tail.
[notify]

Josey Lane

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '07 11:35am PST 
kitty Hey kitty similar...I wonder they same with Miss Josey Lane...had her for less than a week...kitty
[notify]

Josey Lane

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '07 11:39am PST 
sorry bout the typos above...your kitty pics, I think longhair & big kitty compared to my kitty pics...just random long hairs....

Miss Josey Lane's moms
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Wed Dec 26, '07 6:06pm PST 
hmmm...what about if the tail isn't fluffy exactly but the fur extends about a half inch or so past the end of the tail? and the kittens have tiny tufts sticking up from their ear points, and the fur is an inch long or so in places? after they get up from a nap they have distinct "bedfur", fur sticking up all over in weird little waves...so what do we have here? (except orange tabbies...only care because if they're going to be longhaired we need to start working a little harder on getting them to accept being brushed) oh-the kittens are about 2 months old now.
[notify]

Tory

*purrr*

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 4:05pm PST 
An inch is a normal fur length for a short-haired cat. But Kaya, I'd need to see a photo of the kitten you're asking about before I could tell you. at 8 weeks old it can be harder to tell than it is at adulthood.

Kaya, if you are asking about yourself, you look to have typical shorthaired fur to me. If I had to guess I would definitely say domestic shorthair for you.

Edited by author Thu Dec 27, '07 4:08pm PST

[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Thu Dec 27, '07 4:32pm PST 
yes, asking about myself and my littermate shyloh...like mommy said she doesn't care except for the brushing issue...cause of asthma and for our own health-except she's had kittens before and never seen kittens this young with hair this long. we seem different to her than jake or katie or devon or gracie, all of them she knew from when they were little bitty, and our hair is longer and wavier now than theirs was when they were grown. which is why she's wondering, cause we're different than the other definitely shorthaired kittens she's known and loved-but she loves us now!!! (most specially ME!!)laugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2