GO!

Kitten Advice Needed

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Jabba the- Cat

PURRPURRPURR

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '07 2:12pm PST 
I just found out that a kitten a lady is fostering for me has not been eating or drinking for the last 3 days. The woman fostering him has been forcing him to drink some KMR and he will take a little. She also said he has been sleeping almost non-stop for the last 3 days. He is also very skinny and smaller than the rest of his litter even though he was a normal size in the beginning (2 weeks ago).

Today it seems he has had a miraculous come around is eating again and is playing and active. Naturally I am concerned about this little guy
but I am not sure what's wrong. She says he is using his litterbox fine and has not had any diarrhea. Should I wait and see what happens, has anyone experienced this before, what happened then? I really can't afford to rush him to a vet for expensive tests but worry he could have a relapse.
[notify]

Gabby (short- for- Gabriella)

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '07 4:15pm PST 
I am no vet - they would be the recommended person to speak to. It is possible that the kitty had a virus - can take 7-10 days to incubate and like humans, when we don't feel well we don't want to eat and we sleep a lot. Viruses can be shed with time - perhaps this is what happened but it could still be more symptamtic of something more. A new kitten should always go to the vet anyway for a basic health check up to ensure up on its vaccinations and for a fecal sample. Many shelter kitties etc.. have parasites which can effect their diet and litterbox experiences. It is always better to be safe and I would venture to say if you call the vet they could give you an estimate of the cost. Mine was under $100.
[notify]