GO!

Bringing a kitten to a 12 yrs old female cat

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Samantha

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '07 7:38pm PST 
I just adopted a 10 week old very adorable female longhaired mix. I have a 12 year old feamle persian who is very chill. I am bringing home the kitty on wednesday..any advice or experience with this situation I am so anxious to know if they will hit it off or not!! I am praying they will...the kitten is quite calm as well...PLEASE HELP..thanks so much
[notify]

Finnigan and Cannoli

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '07 6:45am PST 
How well they get long depends on both their temperament and how gradually you introduce them to each other.

I have found this to be one of the best sources of dvice, which I have used.

The Steps to Take

* Set up a comfortable "safe room" for New Cat. Put her food, water, litter box (not near the food), scratching post, toys, and bed or other sleeping mat there.
* Expect a great deal of "hissy-spitty" behavior through the closed door from both cats. This is natural and normal; they are just starting to explore their "pecking order."
* Scent is very important for cats. Let each of them smell the other indirectly, by rubbing a towel on one and letting the other smell it. They will soon accept the scent as a normal part of the house.
* Once or twice, switch roles. Put New Cat in the normal living quarters, and let your resident cat sniff out the new cat's Safe Room.
* After a day or so, let the two cats sniff each other through a baby-gate or through a barely-opened door. Gauge the rate at which they seem to be acclimating to each other.
* When you think they're ready, let them mingle under your supervision. Ignore hissing and growling, but you may have to intervene if a physical battle breaks out. Again, take this step slowly, depending on how quickly they get along. If they do seem to tolerate each other, even begrudgingly, praise both of them profusely.
* Make their first activities together enjoyable ones so they will learn to associate pleasure with the presence of the other cat. Feeding (with their own separate dishes), playing, and petting. Keep up with the praise.
* If things start going badly, separate them again, and then start where you left off. If one cat seems to consistently be the aggressor, give her some "time out," then try again a little bit later.

The introduction can take from two hours to six months, so don't be discouraged if your cats don't seem to get along well at first. Often the case is that they will eventually be "best buddies."

Factors to Consider

* If you are thinking of getting a kitten to keep an older cat company, you might want to consider two kittens. They will be able to keep each other company while the older cat learns to love them.
* If you already have more than one cat, use the "alpha cat" for preliminary introductions. Once he/she accepts the newcomer, the other resident cats will quickly fall in line.
* Lots of snuggle-time and attention is indicated for all cats concerned during this period. Remember, the prime goal is to get them to associate pleasure with the presence of each other.
* If possible, ask a friend to deliver the new cat to your home, in her cage. You can act nonchalant, as if it's no big deal, then later let your resident cat(s) think it's their idea to welcome the newcomer.

With patience and perseverance, you can turn what might appear at first as an "armed camp" into a haven of peace for your integrated feline family. Congratulations on giving another cat in need a permanent home!
[notify]

Prince Tai

Bow to me,- foolish mortals!

Purred: Tue Jul 3, '07 7:58am PST 
This osrt of happened to us... the kitten was a siamese, the other cat 14, but similar... let them get used to each other, keep a water gun or some water handy, don't let the baby try to wrestle whit what he'll see as a new friend, and be prepared for serious food squabbles. Mags turned from "too fat to easily fit through a cat door" to "thin" as Tai stole her food, so if the Persian dosen't have fat to spare, extra food and guarded food may be in order.
[notify]

TINKERBELL

NAUGHTY TORTIE

Purred: Wed Jul 4, '07 4:06am PST 
MY OLDER CAT CASSIE HAS JUST ACCEPTED MY NEW LITTLE KITTEN A NAUGHTY TORTIE SO I WAS WORRIED IF CASSIE WOULD ACCEPT HER. IF YOU INTRODUCE THEM PROPERLY YOU SHOULD BE OK AND DONT FORGET TO GIVE THE OLDER CAT SOME ATTENTION NOT JUST ALL OVER THE KITTEN THEY CAN GET VERY JELOUS OF MUMMY ALL OVER THE KITTEN.I HAD TO INTRODUCE MY OLDER CAT CASSIE A RESCUE CAT TO MY TWO DOGS THEY ACCEPTED ONE ANOTHER OK NOW THEY ARE ALL GREAT FREINDS TWO CATS AND TWO DOGS.IF INTRODUCED CORRECTLY YOUR CAT SHOULD BE OK.
[notify]

Natasha

i wanna explore - let me out!

Purred: Sun Jul 15, '07 12:39pm PST 
The only concern I would have is for the kitten actually if your cat is older she wont have a playmate and may get up to mischievous behavior or annoy the older cat trying to play with him.
[notify]

Cosette

*squeak*

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '07 8:07pm PST 
I brought an 8 week old kitten (Cosette) home to my 10 month old cat (Vincent). I was prepared to do the whole separating them in different rooms, and letting them sniff under the door thing. However, when I brought Cosette home, Vincent jumped up and sniffed the carrier, and didn't hiss or seem scared or aggressive. So I let her out (ready to grab her if he got aggressive), and after a minute of sniffing, they instantly started playing, like they had been best buds forever. They were cleaning and napping together within an hour!

Ever since I brought Cosette home, Vincent is as playful as a little kitten again (his sister had been put to sleep two months earlier, and he had been lonely and depressed ever since.)

I know not everyone has instant success like mine, but it is possible that there won't be any problem whatsoever.

Let us know how it went!

Edited by author Tue Jul 17, '07 8:08pm PST

[notify]