GO!

Foods to help with dander and digestion

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Purred: Wed Mar 5, '14 9:54am PST 
Hi everyone, we adopted a kitty last week. My vet said he doesn't have a bad dander problem, but he has flakes all over when I brush him.

We are feeding him friskies food, we really can't completely alter his diet (because of budget), but I'd like to know if I can add some people food to help balance out what he may be missing.

I have heard eggs (raw) can help dogs with dander, so I'm wondering if there is anything similar for cats.

If you have recipes or websites to reference that'ed be great! (His vet was not helpful at all, she said "the food he's eating is fine, some more expensive brands may help with the dander, or they may not")

He has also had the runs since coming home. The Animal control said it's normal because of the food switch, but I'd like to help him if I can.

Thanks for the suggestions!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Mar 5, '14 5:39pm PST 
Poor diet can cause dandruff shrug So can low humidity.

Here's some info about proper cat nutrition: Catinfo.org

Is the Friskies canned or dry? if it's dry, well, the ingredients are horrible silencedsilenced

Canned Friskies is a better choice. The ingredients aren't too horrible in those. Plus, the high water content of canned food is good for your cat way to go You can buy the large 12 oz (I think) cans of Friskies to save money.

Firskies (and other brands of commerical cat food) is a complete diet so there is no need to add anything to it. Doing so may unbalance the diet and may negatively affect your cat over time.

Try increasing the humidity in your home with a humidifier. Brush your cat's fur frequently to remove dandruff and to stimulate the skin to produce more oils. Maybe add a fish oil supplement to the cat's food. Fish oil is thought to promote healthy skin and fur. Use only a fish oil supplement from the pet store. These come in liquid or gel form or in capsules.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 2:00pm PST 
What Merlin said! Feed a wet or raw diet and see if the dandruff eases up as the weather gets warmer. I think most cats in the north get dandruff in the winter but it's usually only obvious on black cats. You can add some fish oil to his food if he likes it - some cats love it and will lick it right off your fingers.
[notify]

Nicodemus

Neko

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '14 9:00am PST 
Thanks for the help! The dander eased up after a week or so. I think it was just the change from inconsistent food to consistent. For other reasons we switch to puina cat food. We can't afford to do all wet food, the cost is just way to high. He does get it as treats though. =) Thanks again for the help.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Mar 16, '14 12:05pm PST 
You end up paying one way or another. If you feed a dry diet you could eventually be at the vet with urinary issues, kidney problems or diabetes. Even a cheap wet food is preferable to dry food. Or maybe you could do half and half. Just my two cents. I understand that money problems can complicate things!
[notify]