GO!

Home Made Food For 5 Special Needs Cats?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '12 11:53am PST 
Hello There,

So soon I will be moving into a home with two other people. We each have our own cats (I have two, one of them has another two, and one has a single cat) What we want to do is put them all on the same food, however we have a problem. We have two special needs cats. The one cat is extremely fat (Like the ones you see on the news) and has diabetes. The other cat has feline aids, is about 15 years old, and very bad teeth.

So I'm wondering, is there a food I can make that will be extremely healthy for them all? I've thought about a raw diet, since that's what I do for my dog, but I'm not sure about how to do it for cats and get the balance correct. So anyone know of a recipe or something I could look into?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '12 5:48pm PST 
There's a very good raw food recipie at http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood that can be fed to most cats, including diabetics smile CRF cats have different nutrition needs. You can contact Dr. Lisa Pierson for a customized raw food diet for a CRF cat.

Catnutrition.org has another good recipie that can be fed to most cats.

A raw diet can definitely help with the diabeticat's blood glucose levels. But a sudden change of diet can drop blood glucose levels and can result in hypoglycemia especially if the insulin dose is pretty big and you are not testing blood glucose levels. I highly recommend the message board at FelineDiabets.com for help on how to safely transition your diabetic cat from the current food to raw food without risking a hypo way to go

Edited by author Sat Sep 8, '12 5:48pm PST

[notify]