GO!

Cooking for both me and my cat

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '12 10:23pm PST 
This might be a crazy idea but cats have a lot of them so I don't care.

Is it possible to cook something for myself (not foods I know are dangerous for cats, of course) and share it with my cat? I know we don't have the same nutritional needs, but there are some similarities, such as eating meat with gravy, NOT eating bones or eggshells, and of course COOKING the meat.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:32pm PST 
it seems to me that everything you think is good for your cat really isn't. You should do some research into making cat food. Personally I like catinfo.org but there are other sites out there.

There are actually very few similarities between humans' nutritional needs and cats'. Cats are obligate carnivores. They must have meat, meat and more meat. Veggies and grains are not good for them and can actually cause heath issues. Please don't feed your cats gravy. Both bones and eggshells can be eaten but only if the bones are raw, and a raw diet is actually the healthiest thing you could feed your cat. If you're going to prepare your own cat food you really need to know what you're doing, so I highly recommend doing a lot of research until you're sure what you're doing. And feel free to post if you need help!
[notify]

TsongWhoa

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 2:53pm PST 
Well, I don't think your idea entirely impossible. Just need some extra care.
What I usually do is:
First I cook more meat than I can eat, cook them plain, no salt or any other spices/condiments added.
Then I separate my portion and cat's portion.
In my portion, I flavor it the way I like.
In cat's portion, I supplement it with cod liver oil, taurine, healthy powder (or Anita's Vita-mineral Mix) and bone meal.

My cat won't eat raw meat and she likes to nibble which I don't feel safe to leave raw meat around for her to nibble and I don't have so much time to feed her whenever she wants to nibble. Also, one of my friends feeds raw and her cats start to show discolored fur, so I think I need to do more research and observation before I make up my mind for the final switch. Before that, I think home-made food can be a nice substitute.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '12 12:21pm PST 
I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't home cook for your cat, but rather that you need to know what you're doing and make sure that their diet is completely balanced and nutritious. Cooked meat by itself isn't enough and grains and vegetables can be problematic. It's just important to be knowledgeable about what you're doing, that's all!
[notify]