GO!

Homemade relaxation sprays?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Hazel Basil

The most polite- cat in Germany

Purred: Tue Jan 3, '12 10:44pm PST 
I have been told by many Catsters that using cat relaxation sprays will be very beneficial when introducing a new cat to my resident cat next week. The only problem is I live overseas so my options are limited. Does anyone have a recipe of some sort to make a homemade spray? I don't even know if a homemade spray even exists but I thought I would give it a try! Oh my soon to be new cats name is Farrah and she is 6 years old! We're so excited to bring in another angel!!!
[notify]

Gigi

Drama Queen

Purred: Wed Jan 4, '12 7:15pm PST 
I don't know about home made relaxation sprays, and never tried to make one before, but I read once that lemongrass is a natural calmant and it has been succesfully used in cats.
We use lemongrass scent in our new home and it seems to make our stressed cat less anxious.
If it not work you can try buy a pheromone spray such as Feliway, it is really helpfull when introducing a new cat and altough it is not 100% natural the vet said is really safe to use.
Hope everything goes well with the cats =)
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 8:59am PST 
I would NOT do anything like that. Essential oils of ANY KIND are incredibly toxic to cats: http://ibdkitties.net/Toxicunsafe.html. Feliways are good as mentioned already and you can also buy a calming collar. I just got one recently because of behavioral issues and it broke me of it, I'm back to my lovey dovey self! http://ibdkitties.net/giftshops.html.
[notify]

Gigi

Drama Queen

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 10:55pm PST 
I'm sorry I think I didn't express myself correctly. I DO NOT use any kind of essential oil in my house.
I DO use the fresh leaves mixed with some water. According to the vet lemongrass is 100% safe for cats. I don't know if there are any cases of poisoning or health problems caused by it, if someone knows please let me know because i'm using it quite offen and planted it in my yard.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Jan 7, '12 3:39pm PST 
oh no! I didn't mean that. I was just stating in general towards the question. That's a great idea about the leaves and water although I don't know anything about lemongrass. I'd have to do some research on that but I haven't heard of anything bad with that. big grin
[notify]