GO!

Just making sure I have all of the basics correct

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Wolfie

Purred: Sat Feb 12, '11 11:42am PST 
I feed my dog home cooked food so it wasn't hard for me to make the choice to do the same for my little kitten that I've had for two days. (The kibble picture is the only one I have)

So first I should buy a food proccesor/ grinder.

I'm not sure what portions to feed a kitten but I was planning on doing about 1/4 pound of food a day.
I was planning on flash boiling chicken thighs with the bones and running it through the proccesor and once a week flash boiling livers and running it through the grinder. Am I missing an important supplement? Thanks! Any advice is appreciated
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sun Feb 13, '11 7:37am PST 
Hiya!
I'm no expert on this stuff by far, but I do know a few things to be absolute musts. You can't cook bones at all. They become dangerous once cooked, very dangerous. So debone the meat ahead of time before you flash boil it. Also if you don't do a specific ratio of meat to bone to secreting organ you have to supplement.

These people do it best:
catinfo.org
catnutrition.org
Ibdkitties.net (under raw food)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 5:22am PST 
Penn & Teller are right - no cooking of bones. I'm not sure why you're cooking at all? You might want to check out those websites that P&T listed - lots of good info there. A couple more things - starting a kitten on raw is SO much easier than a grown cat that you might want to start it on whole prey or Frankenprey so you can eliminate the grinding part. I put together some raw info on Alex's IBD site if you're interested: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

Also, good luck trying to estimate what a growing kitten will eat! They're bottomless pits and can eat as much as they want. laugh out loud
[notify]