GO!

Considering Home Cooking

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Esteban

Just Your- Average Feline

Purred: Mon Nov 29, '10 4:12am PST 
I am currently feeding a good quality kibble and raw gizzards as treats. I do not want to feed only raw food, so I was thinking of doing some home cooking. Esteban has a fish allergy, so it might work out well. How would I start? Is there a book of cat food recipes I could buy?
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Apr 27, '11 8:24am PST 
No book is needed. Check out caninfo.org and catnutrition.org

they offer chicken only diet, and recommend lighty cooking.

I was opposed to raw food because i didnt think throwing my cat a chicken wing was good for them. but once i read up on HOMEADE diet, its totally differnt. the first website is run by a vet, and from what i can tell, its a great diet for cats.

I have done alot of research for a few years using veternary text books, and homade seems to be the way to go. Kibble is horrible for cats for a variety of reasons.
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:32am PST 
The raw vs. cooked debate is like the declawing debate: You can't make others agree with you, but having your own opinions about it doesn't hurt as long as they are based on facts. FWIW my personal belief has always been if you can't prevent the ingestion of worms and harmfu8l bacteria in raw food, do NOT feed any amount of it to your cats no matter how beneficial it seems to be.

That said, the melamine scare in 2007 and a vet saying cats don't need to eat kibbles during that recall made me start thinking cooking for cats is a great idea if I can do it right. When I get another cat I will try it with him/her.
[notify]