GO!

vomiting and diets

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mystic aka- Miss Tickle

One laid back- cat!

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '07 5:41pm PST 
seems my cat has IBD, and is vomiting every dry kibble I'm feeding her. She does not like canned food, I know, what cat doesn't like canned food. That be her. I want to try home cooking for her, but not sure what, and quantity. the vet recomends egg as a protein to start out with. any recipes or experiences that have worked?
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '07 2:39pm PST 
Meow, Mystic -- so sorry to hear about your IBD!

I remembered reading a recipe with egg in it, so I checked my Dr Pitcairn book and found it. It is for raw egg. You take two eggs, and a scant 1/4 teaspoon of calcium (you can use Animal Essentials calcium, or 200 mg of calcium carbonate, calcium gluconate or calcium lactate). Basically, you just mix the yolks and whites and stir in the calcium at the same time. If it seems too gooey, you can scramble it lightly.

That's it! The recommendation is to eat raw, but your human could probably also cook it a little for you so it's firm. Just be sure to let it cool off before you eat it.

I hope this helps and that you feel better soon.
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Sun Dec 2, '07 6:22pm PST 
Have they tested for a food allergy? My IBD was caused by fish. I have heard of it also being caused by Chicken and grains. It took my stomache 10 1/2 months to settle down to tolerable after they took me off fish shock
P.S. you sure do look a lot like me!

Edited by author Sun Dec 2, '07 6:24pm PST

[notify]

Lay'la- Kalila

Mom's baby girl!

Purred: Thu Dec 20, '07 4:22am PST 
There is a book by Antitra Frasier all about home cooked meals for cats. It's easy to use and has simple ingredients in it and it also tells you the nutritional values. Also for now try raising their bowls up off of the ground, put a book underneath and give it a week or so.
[notify]

Dakota

Kitties are born- to run and be- loved

Purred: Fri Dec 21, '07 8:35am PST 
thinking After lots and lots of tests and different food, I still ate only dry food and still vomited. They finally said, let's treat him for IBS. Gave me a shot of Prednisone and from then on I am not vomiting like I did and I am gobbling down canned food like crazy.
Not sure why but my family is glad even though they didn't want me on prednisone, but now I have gained weight and love to eat.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 22, '07 6:57pm PST 
In gen cooking food isn't good for cats, Raw is the way to go IMO, if cats vomit it its that the meat is past its time, cats are VERY good with sensing bad food.
[notify]

Todd

Attention- Deficit Disorder- victim.

Purred: Sun Dec 23, '07 9:22pm PST 
Have you tried a raw food diet yet? That might be the ticket.

Raw food is usually much easier to digest than cooked foods/kibbles/canned food. It takes approximately 14 hours for a cat to process and fully digest cooked products while it take only 6 hours to fully digest raw.

I would give it a shot! If you'd like more info- visit the raw feeding forum!way to go
[notify]

Kaffe Hart

I need your love- to see me- through

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:25am PST 
I agree. Try raw. Here's a quick and easy recipe to try in transition from commercial cat food to raw:

Quick Poultry Feast

1 lb Raw chicken or turkey thigh flesh only with the skin
(ground or chunked)

1/2 tsp Powdered or finely ground eggshell (or 850mg calcium supplement) NOT optional

1 Jar (71g) Baby Food Stage 1 or 2 Vegetables WITHOUT onion (carrots, peas or butternut squash)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Divide into meal portions, using freezer bags or ziplock bags or jars. Freeze what will not be eaten immediately.

As simple as it is, the ingredients in this recipe actually provides a carnivore all the key nutrients it needs. The poultry thighs provide the complete amino acids spectrum, including taurine as well as vitmains including A, D and K and many of the B's. The poultry skin provides the essential fatty acids. The egg shells provide the calcium and trace minerals. Theoretically, you can do without the vegetable baby food - but in my experience, it adds palatability to the food as well as providing needed fiber, starch and phytonutrients.
[notify]

Toulouse

Athena stole my- heart and has my- love!

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 2:17pm PST 
Hi Everyone!wave

I'd just like to get my two cents in here since I was diagnosed with IBD a long time ago. Dakota, my vet gave me shots of prednisone and it really worked! No more vomiting and mom was so happy. However, about 6 months later I was diagnosed with early stages of diabetes. My vet said diabetes could have been brought on by my weight but the prednisone shots didn't help! I'm now on prescription wet food which I hate but tolerate. I started throwing up a lot just recently so I go back to the vet tomorrow morning. I just want you to try not to use those shots if you can help it.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and well!

Your Friend,
Toulousehug
[notify]

Gizmo

Gizmatic Unit

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 6:56am PST 
What is IBS? shrug I might have it because sometimes I vomit. I also hate wet food.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2