GO!

What supplements?

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Pippin

Purred: Mon Jun 18, '07 5:18am PST 
I want to home-cook food for Pippin (no big deal, I am Martha Stewart and cook all the time), where can I find out exactly what supplements need to be added for optimum health? Taurine I know, I just don't know how much.

I don't want to do raw because I don't trust the meat industry that much. cry
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '07 1:55pm PST 
Hi Pippin, wave

The short answer is, it's not really known how to correctly supplement a homemade cooked diet. big grin

My suggestion would be to either a) add the same supplements that you would to a raw diet after the food has been cooked & then add the taurine, plus fish oil a few times a week; or b) prepare the raw meat & supplements, lightly sear the meat & add the taurine, plus the fish oil; or c) add a good cat multivitamin/mineral supplement such as Nu Cat, Dr. Goodpet or Thorne to the cooked food along with extra taurine, plus fish oil.

Your mom should then observe you carefully to make sure you continue to stay healthy. It's just as easy to oversupplement as it is to undersupplement. OTH, most commercial cat foods are not optimum either, IMO.

kitty
[notify]

Cato Hart

The meek shall- inherit the- universe

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '07 5:03pm PST 
Meow Pippin!

We eat home prepared raw food here. Meomie adds the following to every batch of our raw food mix (2 kg ground chicken thighs with bones; 400 gms chicken hearts; 200 grms chicken liver):

1. 4000mg Fish Oil (or salmon Oil) for the vital Omega 3 and Omega 6 nutrients essential for healthy skin and coats
2. 800 IU Vit. E - best with fish or salmon oil; a natural preservative and powerful anti-oxidant to boost the immune system
3. 200 mg Vitamin B-Complex (cats have a high demand for water the B group vitamins)
4. 200 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid (for liver support)
5. 1000 mg Taurine (we cats cannot make our own taurine. red meats especially hearts are rich in taurine, but taurine can degrade from freezing or be lost though cooking - so meowmie always sprinkles a dash of powdered taurine on our daily ration of raw food).
6. 1/4 tsp Dulse (for trace minerals and iodine)
7. 1/4 tsp Kelp (for trace minerals and iodine)
8. sometimes 1000 mg vit C (every other batch) just for our immune system strength

Oh... Kaffe gets 10 mg of Co-Q10 twice a week for his gum issues (rubbed directly on his gums). We also get an additional 1000mg fish oil twice a week.
[notify]

Brucey- Bruce-In- loving- memory

Purred: Fri Jul 27, '07 12:43pm PST 
We get a homemade raw diet. When it comes to what you may be refering to as supplements, we actually get in to our raw food mix. I don't call them supplements because they are regular ingredients for making the food. I'm not sure but I think that's what you're interested in? or not?

What we call supplements are the items put on the food daily, or as needed. The most routine supplement we get is homemade and therefore personalized for our needs. The basic recipe comes from Dr. Donna Kelleher (www.wholepetvet.com). She's one of the vets for my sister, Sally.

The other supplements we get routinely include canned sardines (for the fish oil and bones and yummy flavor). A raw diet requires variety so we could start adding other things to the "supplement" list. Before I start listing those out, thought I should ask exactly what you're looking for.
[notify]