GO!

preparing cat food

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Damnit

I'm a jerk- =^..^=

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 3:17pm PST 
I've heard all sorts of things. Like cooking it, mixing in vegetiables, etc.

My cats used to be outdoors cats. They'd eat mice, rats, birds, whatever they could get their paws on.

I would like to get them on a meat diet, probably raw unless there's a huge problem with that.

I'm pretty poor. So I'm buying them the cheap cat food and I can't imagine it's good for them.

Is lunch meat okay? Like roast beef, bolonga , etc? What about cheese? My boyfriend works at a meat dept. and he gets that stuff really, really cheap. Like $1.00 a pound.

I dunno! Any ideas would be helpful because all of my searching isn't coming up with anything solid.
[notify]

Marcy

if only I had- hands...

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '07 5:02pm PST 
I don't know how to prepare home cooked food but if you can't afford the canned foods such as Nature's variety, Innova and Wellness, etc., you could try giving just the dry Innova or Wellness or other premium grade food. This is a little pricier than the supermarket brands but they tend not to eat as much of it anyway (less fillers and better quality proteins and ingredients, so they eat less) and it may actually work out to be cheaper for that reason in the long term. Do NOT feed them deli meats or cold cuts beacuse they are loaded with preservatives that are cancer causing and may be damaging to their kidneys and liver. Those things also DO NOT have all the vitamins and minerals they need to maintain health , for e.g Taurine which is vital to staying healthy in cats. Even if you prepared your own diet at home, you would need to add special supplements to it to provide the balanced nutrition that kitties need.
[notify]

Sally-In- Loving- Memory

That food is- mine!

Purred: Mon Aug 6, '07 9:56am PST 
Good for you to be thinking about your pet's nutrition!

If your boyfriend works in a meat department then maybe you have access to stuff better than bologna or cheese. Raw ground turkey, ground chicken, turkey and chicken organs, chicken necks, that kind of stuff is great for the basis of a raw fed diet.

If you choose to go all homemade (raw or cooked), then you'll need to learn about kitty nutrition. That's where the cost comes in. But not monetarily, only time wise. For example, you'll need to provide adequate sources of taurine and calcium.

My sister, Brucey Bruce, and I have been getting homemade raw diets for years. Easy peasy but our diets are specific to our needs. You'll need to learn about what's appropriate for you too.
[notify]

Ramses

I'm Ramses, fuss- me Mummy!

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '07 7:43am PST 
One cheep sourse of added calcium when making your own cat food is ground up egg shells according to a vet friend. I've used it myself for a while and my cats love the food I make them, plus it doesn't cost much at all! smile Keep clear of any meats that have been processed in anyway as they're not good as a regular part of any cats diet, plain old chicken, turkey, beef etc is always the best even if it's the cheepest of the cheep cuts! big grin
[notify]

Azriel- (Rainbow- Bridge)

I have 24 toes

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '07 7:41am PST 
Hi!

I know you posted this a while ago, not sure if you're still checking. Anyway, I've been making my own cat food for years now, and two excellent books to guide your recipes on what to make for your cats are "The Natural Cat" written by a homeopathic vet, but I can't find it right now so I'm not sure who the author is... and "Dr. Pitcairn's complete guide to natural health for dogs and cats". This book lists options esp. if you kitty has a condition (my Azriel has chronic renal failure, so she can't have certain things and needs more of others.) This book's also great because it lists a host of other things you can do for your pets to keep them happy and healthy.

I use ground chicken as my base (my cats love it) with eggs for protein, oat bran or rice, and a vitamin supplement. Good luck!

Edited by author Sat Sep 29, '07 7:43am PST

[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '07 8:42pm PST 
Azriel, good advice! Just to add to your post, the author of the New Natural Cat is Anitra Frazier. She has a lot of great advice for humans about us.
[notify]