GO!

Thank you, HQ!

This is the place to share your best homemade cat food and treat recipes with each other! Remember to use caution if your pet has allergies and to make any diet changes gradually so that your cat's stomach can adjust to the new foods you are introducing.

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '07 2:14pm PST 
This new forum is great to have to share pet food recipes snoopy

Here's a recipe that was created by a veterinary nutrionist: Pet food recipes

Here's one my Human found on a veterinary web site:

This recipe should be fed for not more than 2 months. Clinicians are advised to set up a consultation with the client at the end of this period to revisit feeding requirements and to consider either re-instituting commercial food products, or a consultation with a clinical nutritionist.

Standard Pet Formula - adequate for healthy dogs and cats over 6 months of age

1 pound fresh boneless skinless chicken breast
2 and 2/3 cup cooked white rice
1 Tablespoon safflower oil
1/4 tsp Morton's lite salt
1/4 tsp iodinated salt
3 grams of calcium carbonate without vitamin D
(regular Tums - check size)
1 Centrum adult multivitamin-mineral supplement (no special senior, ocular, women's or other versions)
1/4 tsp taurine powder (or 500 mg tablet) (taurine is optional for dogs - essential for cats)

Sauté chopped chicken breast in oil until thoroughly cooked. Add rice and salt.

Grind Tums (calcium carbonate), multi vitamin/mineral tab, and taurine supplement together. Add to cooled mixture. Store in refrigerator. Larger batches may be prepared in advance and stored in the freezer.

Nutritional profile

40% protein (Dry matter basis )
12% fat DMB
6% calcium DMB
4.3% phosphorus
1.4:1.0 calcium:phosphorus

Calories: 1046 kcal per batch or 1.12 kcal/gram

Batch size: 932 grams

To feed, calculate caloric needs and divide into twice daily feeding. One recipe batch should provide adequate intake for a 40-45 pound dog for 1 day.

Adjust intake to maintain ideal body weight.

Catnutrition.org - More info about homemade foods and RAW recipies.

PetDiets.com - Info on pet diets.

Balanceit.com - Create a homemade diet. Unfortunately, you will need to buy the recipe you create along with a vitmain and mineral supplement frown
[notify]

Smugglesby- Ruggleford- (Forever

I made fudge!

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '07 4:00pm PST 
I like this forum! My Mom wants to talk to our vet about making our food! It seems every day those goofballs are expanding the recall!!

Has anycat talked to their vet about homemade food? Mom read an article that said it was a bad idea, but I think if it's done right it's a heck of a lot better than leaving it someone else's hands!!
[notify]

Toni Stewart

190mph without a- race car!

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '07 4:29pm PST 
The last time I was at the v-e-t, Mommy mentioned she was thinking of switching us to a raw diet. She looked at Mommy like she had sprouted another head! No surprise really, the v-e-t doesn't even agree with us eating EVO.
Mommy's going to try to find a new vet in our area that believes in feeding us kitties like we should be fed. She's been reading a lot (Pitcairn, Bernard) and is thinking about feeding us a raw diet. She tried hiding some raw chicken in our canned food the other night. I ate a few pieces, but Zippy only licked at it. I hope she gives us some more soon!

cheer
[notify]

Tucker

I'm the baby

Purred: Mon Apr 23, '07 6:47pm PST 
When our Mom asked the Vet about Raw feeding the Vet Assistant that she was talking to said that "they didn't promote a Raw diet because they didn't sell it" shock
Mom thinks that it's time to find a different Vet!
They did however give us the phone number of a Vet knows something about Raw...so yeah...it's always best to talk to your Vet before any change in diet but sometimes the information is much easier to find on the WEB than through "real" people shrug
[notify]

Ceaser

Main Man

Purred: Tue Apr 24, '07 8:16am PST 
Yes, thank you very much HQ!!! As my Mumsie has been wondering if this is something that may benefit our family!

Great Idea!
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Wed Apr 25, '07 9:30pm PST 
Wow, what a cool idea for a forum, esp. with all this recall stuff! Wow, new forums keep popping up almost every week it seems like!
[notify]

Smokey

Dennis the- Menace

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '07 6:27pm PST 
Meow! Mom wants to know if there's any suppliments she can buy to add to our food so we get all the vitamins and minerals we need! Does it come in powder or liquid form? Mom is going to talk to our vet too. With the recalls getting added to more and more, she doesn't trust pet food companies anymore. The other day she gave me and Whiskers a taste of chicken to see if we would like it. We gobbled it ALL up! I hope she gives us more! We're still eating the last batch of pet food we got since it isn't on the recall list and we aren't having any problems with it, but Mom doesn't want to buy anymore! kitty
[notify]

Annie Snow

Ktown survivor

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 7:49pm PST 
I didn't ask my vet about RAW but her advice to me was to not take a chance on any canned food since the recalls keep coming on new products. She recommended to stay with the dry kitten chow in my case. The 2 brands she recommended were Purina One and Iams.
[notify]