GO!

Homemade Cat Collars?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Luft

Quirky and aloof

Purred: Fri Feb 28, '14 6:50pm PST 
Has anybody ever made any type of cat collar by themselves? I was wanting to make Luft a collar using a braiding technique called Kumihimo. I would measure his neck using a ribbon measurer, and then use that measurement (plus extra inches for extra string at the end, and so it won't be too tight on him) to see how long I would need the yarn. I would use 7 pieces of soft yarn. Once I was done braiding them, I would tie off the ends, and tie the extra, unbraided string at each end to a plastic clip that would allow me to remove the collar as needed. Before I attached that, though, I would make sure the braid part was long enough so that it would be comfortable for him. He is going to be an indoor cat only, so I wouldn't have to worry about him getting caught on anything outside...I would probably take the collar off though when my fiance and I leave the house, just in case. I would most likely get a little ring in it somehow as well so I could put vaccination/identifications tags on it.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea? Or do you think there might be issues with it? Let me know!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '14 5:02pm PST 
It sounds like it would be pretty. Is there a way to put a breakaway clip or something on it? That would be the only thing I would worry for.wave
[notify]

Raza

Purred: Tue Mar 4, '14 8:28am PST 
yeah I agree a break away clip or elastic so if it is caught he can slip it off his head. There are still places in the home that it can catch on too, and you may forget to take it off when you leave the house. Maybe you can make a cat toy insteadthinking our furs always have collars on, it's a must for them. I'm also cautious on what collar they have as some can really wear the fur off on the neck.
[notify]

Luft

Quirky and aloof

Purred: Tue Mar 4, '14 5:31pm PST 
I could probably purchase a breakaway clip somewhere, or find yarn with elastic properties. It would be tested, though, before I allowed him to actually wear it. Of course Luftie would not be involved in the test. I would probably just put it on my wrist, ankle, limb-like item, etc. and catch it on something and see how well it works. I may try prototypes...but I don't know yet. I always liked doing Kumihimo, especially when I first learned it, and it seems like it would be a good hobby and whatnot, especially if I could make uses of it, such as making Luft a collar...it may not be beneficial at the moment, though because things have come up in the household at the moment that will require me to save up more money to move out...I also need to continue to focus on my current tasks at hand as well. It may definitely be something I can try to do in the future, though.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 21, '14 12:54pm PST 
I do not care for cat collars. I just worry about them getting caught on something. So yes if you make him one make sure that it does have a break away collar to keep him better protected.
[notify]