GO!

Do kittens change colors?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Pause

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:40am PST 
Hi, I have a 3 almost 4 month old tabby name Pause. When I got him at 7 weeks, he was black and white, with black and white stripes on his paws. The hair under his chin was white also. Now he seems to be changing colors. He's now black with grey, silver, gold, and brown hair. He had long hair, and now it seems as if his hair is getting shorter on the sides. I thought he was a longhair tabby, but could he actually be longhaired as a kitten, and short haired as an adult? The brown/gold seems to get stronger daily. He doesn't go outside, but does like to snooze in the sun. Could that be it? Is it ok for him to relax in the sun?

Another problem he's having is it seems as if his testicles are getting larger. At first I thought it was poo, but after the bath I realized that it wasn't poo, or even hair. They don't appear large, and I'm not going to touch him there to find out if they hurt. I don't have any bathroom problems out of him, and I make sure he has fresh water. Of course he isn't fixed, he's not old enough.

Thanks in advance fo any and all help. I've been lurking for months, and have learned so much. happy dance
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 3:16pm PST 
It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but Pause seems to be a brown tabby with white. Kittens have very fluffy coats that sometimes might look like log-haired fur (even when the kitten is a short-hair), but it falls out as their adult fur grows in. Conversely, sometimes a kitten looks like a short-hair, then they develop long, thick coats abd floofy tails! Pause might end up somewhere in between. Also, he's not too young to be neutered - many vets are neutering kittens as young as 8 weeks. You don't have to wait.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:11pm PST 
YES!!!

Thank you for asking this. I noticed this myself in Toby.

Here he is when we first got him (estimated 6 weeks old) -- you can see he's very light brown and white, with a very pink nose, and appears to be medium haired:

[img]http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/37/1296337/1296337 _1369404463.jpg[/img]

[img]http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/37/1 296337/1296337_1369519134.jpg[/img]

Here he is a few days ago:

[img]http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/37/1296337/1296337_13 73474070.jpg[/img]

You can see he appears to be darker and has lost some of his "shagginess". His nose is also turning more black (he always had a little black dot of color there, but it seems to be growing!).

Sorry, not sure how to make images show - and these are pictures from my cat's page, not Dogster so I don't know why they're linking from Dogster....

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 5:19pm PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:47pm PST 
Toby
[notify]

Pause

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 7:47pm PST 
OMG! Toby and Pause could be brothers! His fur/hair is long and lays flat and is very straight. He has the same stripes on his legs. Are you in Southern Illinois?
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:40am PST 
Nope! Maine!

I thought he might have some Maine Coon in his lineage. smile
[notify]