GO!

STINK

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Namerovsky

From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 8:41pm PST 
Our new cat is a middle aged (shelter said five-ish, vet says more like 7 or 8, or a really hard living 5) male that was picked up off the street. Super relaxed. Was fostered with other cats and was fine.

The new cat smells horrible! He's been bathed multiple times. He smells like a horrible tomcat. They neutered him at the shelter in March when he came in, but he was intact through now. He doesn't pee outside the box, but when the room has been closed, the whole room just smells like male cat pee/tomcat. There's no pee anywhere loose - it's just how he smells. Will this go away ever? It's intolerable.

I feel so bad about all this. I don't love the new cat yet and now everyone is unhappy and I can't take that smell in the house. And I can't take him back, that's the city pound and for an older male cat who is kind of ugly and scruffy that's a death sentence. Any advice? I just feel awful all the time. Will they ever be friends? What can I do if this doesn't work out? I thought that if it's that bad, maybe the new one can kind of live in the yard - I mean, it's not great but taking him back is death for him.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 9:27pm PST 
If he hasn't been neutered for at least a month to six weeks, then his hormones are still circulating, will get better a little later. Don't know what litter you use, but while there are several I like, Me
owma got me some Tidy Cats Breathe Easy, and some TC '24/7 to see if these new varieties worked well--both do great, and I am all boy. There are 2 whole males in the house here, and you would never know (we are both good and don't spray, so get our own rooms)
[notify]

Namerovsky

Purred: Sun Apr 29, '12 9:40pm PST 
We've been using World's Best which was what I always used before and it was fine. I am thinking I might want to change brands for this new guy, it just isn't doing well for him.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 5:50am PST 
1) It's still early days yet in terms of his neutering. However, please have your vet have a look. On occasion, something very rare happens and a male can have an undescended testicle and this can also create that tomcat pee that all the girls are so fond of!

My heart goes out to him....for he was me....I was a scruffy, bigheaded, though very bighearted fellow. I had feline lice, I had not been neutered. Mommy doesn't remember me smelling bad, but she didn't care. She and Daddy work with 'guys like me' and rescue.

You can also put some baking soda in the litter box. In the beginning, I was seperated from my cousins, though my friend Blackie and I would get together and scrap sometimes. It's what we guys do when we don't know anything else. But we became great friends.

I am now a gentle, kind and funny cat who adores my people. I am extremely clean, and enjoy being with my brothers and even my sisters when they aren't picking on me.

Get your new fellow checked by the vet...perhaps there is a problem that needs attending to.

In the meanwhile, I send you many purrs...

Please try to love him a little....it's the thing we need most besides food and water, just a bit of affection, and just being allowed to be and be loved.
[notify]

Namerovsky

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 12:12pm PST 
Oh thank you so much for this. It helps to hear that this got better and they ended up friends.

I was totally wondering that too - could they have missed some testicular tissue or something. How long should it go away in if he is truly neutered?
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 7:13pm PST 
I want to say it takes about a month of a little longer if 'they got it all'. I believe that they can check by sonogram to see if there is something there. But please bring it up to your vet. Also, sometimes, if there is a bladder infection they can have some strong pee. I know because we went through it with one of ours.
provide a kitty water fountain...I've met many cats who like them.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 4, '12 4:49pm PST 
Is it his anal glands? Anal gland secretion stinks really, really bad eek Some cats just have overprodutctive glands that need to be emptied frequently. You can do this at home. Ask the vet to show you how. Wear rubber gloves (latex or nitrile), put an old towel under the cat to catch any goo, and have plenty of paper towels to wipe away the stinky goo.
[notify]