GO!

What to do about a cat with a dirty butt

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Sully

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 6:16pm PST 
One of my cats is so fat she can't clean her butt properly (she is going on a diet but that's a different post). She hates for me to do it and I really can't seem to get her clean. Any suggestions are welcome.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 7:20pm PST 
You'll have to scruff her to subdue her first. I always flipped my boys over on their backs to wipe their butts but they were smaller. You can try throwing a towel over her, that works at the vets office.
[notify]

Hanna *I- miss you my- big girl!

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 7:35am PST 
Honestly, bring her to the vets and have them shave her *area*. You need to clean her butt plus the area *down there*. If not she will get really nasty bacteria, and get infections. Thats what happened to me, and within 3 weeks of infections, allergic reactions, and other issues, mom had to help me go to the bridge. Please Please, clean down there everytime she pee's/poops. You can use just a wet paper towel, or washcloth.

Good Luck!
[notify]

Sully

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 2:25pm PST 
Thank you. I think I will be taking her to the vet to do something. I'm also going out tomorrow to get shampoo and she's going to get used to regular cleanings. And she is going on a diet so she can reach done there and clean herself.
[notify]

Hopper

Get outta my- space!

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 5:50pm PST 
Make sure you wipe from bottom to top so that you do not introduce the rectal bacteria into her lady parts! Learned this the hard way when my daddy didn't know any better!
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Apr 3, '11 1:39pm PST 
Shave him down with a rusty razor, early in the morning...

WAIT! That's what to do with a drunken sailor! (Sorry, for some reason the post title made me think of that silly song!)
[notify]

Aibou

Rub my tummy!

Purred: Mon Apr 4, '11 1:50am PST 
I knew a kitten who had a similar problem, he just had long fur and a messy butt. His dad would take him into the bathroom after every time he pooped and give him a wash. It got to the point where, after every litterbox pit stop, he would go into the bathroom sink and cry until his owner would come give him a bath! Spoiled rotten little thing. big grin
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Mon Apr 4, '11 7:41am PST 
Omg that is so cute!!!

People who don't bathe their cats don't realize that when you learn to bathe your cat, after that initial shock they get they become very affectionate toward you. I gave my feral cat Miss Edith her very first bath two days ago. She's a very territorial cat some may consider "mean" but she really is not. To humans she's amazing. Anyway she was so angry for hours she didn't come home but that night after she dried off she was all over me giving me love. It's a bonding ritual if you do it correctly. Yeah you may get peed on but trial and error! It's worth it.

Edited by author Mon Apr 4, '11 7:48am PST

[notify]