GO!

The Best Grooming Tools for Cats

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Simon

Simon the Loner

Purred: Sun Nov 28, '10 7:45am PST 
What are the best grooming tools for cats? Like, what kind of brushes, nail clippers, shampoo, etc.? I currently have a pin brush and a flea comb, but I don't know if there is anything else I need. Also, what is the best type of shampoo? Like one that gets rid of dandruff and helps stop shedding, maybe.
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Tue Nov 30, '10 2:26pm PST 
Hi Simon,wave
Most of us love the Zoom Groom. It feels so good and it removes a lot of dead hair. Meowma said to make sure you have a trash bag near by, Mol
As for shampoo, just make sure it is safe for cats. Anything that smells good will be fine. As for dandruff, just make sure you are eating a food with a high amount of Linoleic Acid. That is an Omega fatty acid that will decrease shedding and dry skin.
Meowma was a pro. groomer for 12 years and the brush and comb you have work well. Just get a Zoom Groom and regular cat claw clipper then you will be set. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me any time.There are a lot of great cats here that can also help you.
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Wed Dec 8, '10 11:42pm PST 
Like the other poster said the Zoom groom is paw-some. We have short haired cats and we could probably still make another kitten each week when we use it! laugh out loud
Whenever you shampoo a cat (which should not be often as shampoos can actually dry out the skin and cause more dandruff and skin problems than anything) Make sure to rinse, rinse, and when you think you have rinsed enough, rinse, rinse again. Get all that soapy out. Keep water and soapy out of your kitties ears, eyes, and mouth and you will be alright. Choose a shampoo for cats, or the original unconcentrated dawn.
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Thu Dec 9, '10 6:20am PST 
I attempt to use the Zoom Groom with Hunter. However, the lil squirt likes to bite on it! It does work very well though.

If your cat has dandruff, try feeding wet food. It might help with that. Keep your cat hydrated!
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Tue Dec 14, '10 8:26am PST 
Izzie and Delilah like to bite the comb (or me) as well during grooming sessions. This is why Ikeep my comb (I use a Zoom Groom and a plastic brush I actually bought at the grocery)next to my chair. Whenever one comes up on my lap, they get a few minutes of grooming. Long grooming sessions don't work with either one, so this works for me.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Thu Dec 16, '10 12:29pm PST 
Ever since we've gotten a Zoom Groom-actually we got two, my roommate keeps one upstairs-the cat perch/scratching post by my chair at the computer (the cats like to kibbitz, especially Kaya) has become Kaya's grooming platform. When she would hop up there and tap me, at first I figured she was asking for attention. Then food. Then water. Then I checked the litterboxes. Because usually it's one of the above, but lately, even if food bowls are empty, water fountain is whirring, and litterboxes are stinky-and I fix all that and pet the kitty...she still kept tapping me. I was getting exasperated, and so was she...I started clipping her claws more often. Had to. She was shredding my shirts.
Then she must have figured out I couldn't actually read her mind, so she starts prowling the house...every time I opened the entertainment center doors, she was inside the cabinets. Every time I opened an endtable, she was in it. We have moved fairly recently, and I started asking her if she couldn't find her favorite mousie or something. Well, I was on the right track.
When I was looking for a key to turn the valve on my oxygen tank-don't worry if that doesn't make sense to you, it just means I moved a whole bunch of full O2 tanks that would have been too heavy for Kaya to shift but are shaped such that there are plenty of gaps pretty much no matter how you stack them-at the bottom of this basket of air was the Zoom Groom. Which mattered to me less at the moment than finding something to turn the O2 tank on...turns out a nutcracker will do in a pinch...pun intended.
So I brushed the kitties later...yes, Zoom Groom had been missing for weeks. Kitties went bananas. Kitties followed me around. And Kaya is a total slave to the Zoom. The cat perch is now her private grooming salon. She'd rather be groomed than petted. laugh out loud Even Wesley, my most feral of my 3 feral kittybears, relaxes to the point of half-mast eyelids when I get down on the floor with him and Zoom him.
It's not just an effective grooming tool-it's kitty therapy.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun Dec 26, '10 12:00pm PST 
Must be my arthritis that makes me hete the Zoom, but I LOVE the double sided brush with pin bristles on one side and regular ones on the other. But Meowma says she's getting the red devil a Zoom Groom!
[notify]