GO!

I have bad felted mats and won't let Mom touch me!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Sterling Mithril

Jaws-I\'ll eat- anything!

Purred: Sat Aug 28, '10 1:22pm PST 
Mom never had such a long haired kitty like me, and is in a dilemma! I have terrible tight, felted mats on my stomach, back sides and here and there all over me. Mom has tried different brushes and combs on me, but I hate them! I run from mom when she trys to groom me. Mom called a groomer and they said they could bathe me, comb me, cut my mats out and brush me out for $75. It would take 4-5 hours. Mom is worried that I might flip out being handled so long, and afraid I might bite them. I tried to bite mom and hissed and growled at her when her and dad tried the electric razor on me to cut out my felted mats. They tried to wrap me in a towel and work on my butt, but I freaked out.
Should mom take me to the vet and have me put out while they shave me, or should we try the groomer where I might try to bite somebody? Any ideas kitties!? Help!!!
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sat Aug 28, '10 3:26pm PST 
My sissy Princess has the same problem. We have to have her shaved at the vet. We don't like to do it but about every 9 months since they have to put her to sleep. She bites.

The furminator is pretty good or we use hair thinning shears to cut the mats and they comb out pretty easy. If you leave the mats in it causes skin infections, etc.

Fee Verte

OmNomNomNomNommm

Purred: Sat Aug 28, '10 10:00pm PST 
Meoow thinks $75 is kinda ridiculous.
Meow!!!shock
[notify]

Sterling Mithril

Purred: Sun Aug 29, '10 5:03pm PST 
It seems that the vet might be the best way. Thanks for your comments, Sky. Mom doesn't see any other way of doing it, either, although she hates to see me put out to do it.
Fee Verte, $75 I guess is alot. Mom is going to call some vets and see how much it would be for them to work on me. mom is just worried that if she takes me to that groomer, it might be a lot more money if I end up biting them!eek
[notify]

Felix - In Loving- Memory

Felix the Lap- Cat

Purred: Sun Aug 29, '10 7:26pm PST 
I would recommend taking Sterling to the vet where they could sedate him. I had the same problem with my previous cat, Critter. He hated to be groomed and would get mad whenever I brushed him or tried to get knots/mats out of his long hair. I had no choice but to take him to vet where he could be sedated and then groomed. In the summer he got a "lion cut."

Good luck! I understand what you're going through.
[notify]

♥Simo- n♥

Mommy's baby- kitty

Purred: Sun Aug 29, '10 8:31pm PST 
Just a thought. Is it possible that you can cut out 1 or 2 mats at time? I mean when he is sleeping or just laying there. I do this with my cats when trying to clip their nails. I come up on them when they are sleeping and can only get 1 or 2. Then I wait for the next opportunity. Maybe your husband can hold him wrapped in a blanket while you cut one out. I would make sure the scissors are sharp too so it could be done quickly. It might take some time but could save the trip to the vet to be put under. Hope everything works out for you!
[notify]

Ch.- Posiepurrs- Lotus

Purred: Mon Aug 30, '10 3:36am PST 
A furminator should not be used on a matted coat. Really $75 for the clip down for a cat that has a coat in the condition you describe is not bad. I have clipped one down that was in the same shape that you describe and it is an awful lot of work and takes quite a bit of time. I would suggest having the vet do it for the first time though - they have access to sedatives that will calm the cat. After the cat is clipped down start working with him immediately after to accustom him to the comb. Do it daily.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Aug 30, '10 7:19am PST 
You look like an expert in this department, Lotus! If your kitty hates being brushed so much (what is he thinking? I LOVE it!) Meowma suggests getting him shaved, and start getting him used to brushing using a fairly soft human hairbrush to start with and progressively moving to combs and such. Some kitties never get happy about it but surely he can improve somewhat, if you don't wait for him to get terribly tangled first.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Aug 30, '10 7:19am PST 
You look like an expert in this department, Lotus! If your kitty hates being brushed so much (what is he thinking? I LOVE it!) Meowma suggests getting him shaved, and start getting him used to brushing using a fairly soft human hairbrush to start with and progressively moving to combs and such. Some kitties never get happy about it but surely he can improve somewhat, if you don't wait for him to get terribly tangled first.
[notify]

Sterling Mithril

Purred: Mon Aug 30, '10 10:22am PST 
Well, mom made the appointment with the vet TODAY, MONDAY AT NOON! She feels good about doing it this way after reading all your comments and suggestions. Mom has tried sneaking up on me while I am sleeping, but it doesn't work. I wake up and have a fit. Mom and Dad tried the blanket/towel trick too, but I am 16 pounds of PURE MUSCLE, and they have a very hard time hanging on to me! Mom is going to have the vet shave me, and then we will try the soft, human brush therapy after that. I will let you know how it goes later on today, and maybe post some pictures on my page of meeek Thank you all so much for your help, this has been bugging mom for some time and she just didn't know what to do with me! Please PURR for me that everything goes well at the vet today!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3