GO!

Matts Matts and more Matts!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4  
Sterling Mithril

Jaws-I\'ll eat- anything!

Purred: Sat Jun 19, '10 5:42pm PST 
I have terrible matts too! What exactly is a greyhound comb? And where is a good place to get them? I am 3 and don't like being brushed either. Mom was trying to use a wide metal brush on me, but it pulls on the matts and I run away from it.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sat Jun 19, '10 10:42pm PST 
What a gorgeous boy you are!!! You are the living image of what a Maine Coon should look like. The MC I'm currently showing with the CFA looks like a total moggy--har har har. I posted an explanation about Greyhound combs on page 2 of this thread. You can buy them over the Internet or at cat shows. I don't live in the U.S., so I don't know if you can buy them at American pet stores. Any metal comb should do. Long haired cats need combing rather than brushing. And doing it regularly is important. MCs are known for having "greasy" fur--in theory, Nature made them that way in order to better withstand cold climates with a lot of rain and snow. For some reason, my brown tabbies tend to be greasier than my red tabbies and torties. They also tend to develop mats. Therefore, I think that the occasional bath would be a help. Hang in there, Ol' Green Eyes!
[notify]

Sterling Mithril

Jaws-I\'ll eat- anything!

Purred: Sun Jun 20, '10 3:01pm PST 
Thanks Harvey for the infomation and compliments! I will read page two about the greyhound comb. I think it is funny that I am a Maine Coon, like you said who's fur is for cold, rainy climates and I LIVE IN TUCSON, AZ. (I know you don't live in the states, so Tucson is very dry and hot!) Through our summer the temperatures are on average 110-115 degrees fahrenheit! MOL! Thank goodness for AIR CONDITIONING!laugh out loud
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Tue Jun 22, '10 4:23pm PST 
In Tokyo, we're air conditioned almost all year round. Mommy hates Tokyo's humid summers, and Maine Coons are said to get a better coat by being kept cold (did that make sense?).

Harvey hasn't had a bath since his show career ended, but if you look at his photos (also Chibi's) you'll see what a well groomed cat looks like. Labor intensive, but it does help prevent hairballs and mats.
dancing
[notify]

Meoki

Meoki Rules!

Purred: Fri Jun 25, '10 8:29pm PST 
The only thing I'd like to add to the above comments is that sometimes a seam ripper will work. It's not the first choice, but it's very effective and hard for the cat to bat around. Meoki doesn't get mats anymore. But, she gets baths more frequently, lots of brushing, and treats. It took about 6 months to get her used to brushing, her last owners never did it. She had *wings*!
[notify]

(Page 4 of 4: Viewing entries 31 to 35)  
1  2  3  4