GO!

Matts Matts and more Matts!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 6:37pm PST 
Someone once recommended something called a "Mat Breaker." You can see it at
http://www.aristopet.com.au/?page=75&item=814&ps=1&product_searc h=&dosearch=

The company appears to be in Australia, but the product may be available in American stores. If not, they're willing to ship internationally. I keep meaning to order one myself.

Also, you could try electric hair clippers--the kind used to give people buzz cuts. I believe they make them for pets (at least they do in Japan). It's not uncommon for the owner of a long-haired cat to give it a "sanitary cut" around the backside.

Whatever method you use, be careful! Lowell is a sweet cat, but after having his mats removed in a rather painful way (it was my first time removing mats, and no, I didn't mean for it to be painful), now hates the sight of a comb.
[notify]

Elise

Future mother of- Grand Champions!

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 1:39pm PST 
New discovery! I didn't have time to go to the store today to buy a letter opener, so I used a seam ripper instead. You know, those tiny but sharp pronged things that people who sew use to remove threads, etc. Poor Radcliffe had a few mats that were about the size of quail eggs, and I managed to cut off the very, very top of the mat, then divide it with the seam ripper. Then, I used a very wide-toothed Greyhound comb to get out the dead hair. She still needs a bit more work on that area, but she put up with five minutes of what must have been a frightening and painful experience without a single whimper. Well, now I know that my brown/brown and white tabbies need more grooming than my reds and my torties, for whatever reason.

Don't forget (as I did with Elise) that when you pull up a mat, the skin comes up with it. You may think you're only cutting out the mat, but Elise and I are living proof that you can cut poor Kitty's skin even when sure you're just cutting the mat. Do be careful. Very careful. A trip to the vet is no fun, for human or cat.
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Sat Jun 12, '10 4:47pm PST 
Elise; I am so sorry you had to learn the hard way frown
I also kicked a cat behind the ear and had the same results. That is when I decides to groom the right way and I did so for 12 years.
As for the matt buster. I have those too. But I like the letter opener better as it does not pull as much. Good luck and ~hugs~ to Elise
[notify]

GC Rdreams- Golden- Bamboo of Po

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 6:51am PST 
May I suggest that any time you are trying to cut a mat out, put the comb between the skin and the mat - that way you shouldn't cut the skin.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Jun 13, '10 2:09pm PST 
Good idea!!! Radcliffe will appreciate that.
hail
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 7:13am PST 
Who is Matt? wow there is alot of talk about him on this threadbig laugh
MOL
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 7:14am PST 
yeah, and they are doing some damage to the poor fella, ripping him apart with a seam ripper? letter openers? what a way to die. Pretty soon the Greyhounds will be chasing him outta town.
hehehehe

Edited by author Wed Jun 16, '10 7:17am PST

[notify]

Elise

Future mother of- Grand Champions!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 7:52am PST 
I used to have a boyfriend named Matt...
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 7:55am PST 
Once they become combs, Greyhounds get pretty quiet. But yeah, they can still scare cats like crazy, especially when paired with the Demon Hair Dryer.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Thu Jun 17, '10 6:17am PST 
Ive never had a Matt -
I do remember my old dog getting them tho.
eek
[notify]

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4