GO!

Matts Matts and more Matts!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Sonny

Luvin life out- of the shelter

Purred: Tue May 18, '10 8:36pm PST 
I am hoping to get some advice on getting matts out. Sonny has such thick beautiful hair but is still at that kitten stage where he won't let me near him with a brush and when I try to cut them out he tries to play with the scissors.

Any suggestions?
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 2:05am PST 
I was a Pro groomer for 12 years, and I have found that using a plastic letter opener will help get through any hair knots or mats. This a a pic of what I am talking about;
http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/WEVCOA12 /10Q1/
Just run it through and comb out with a metal comb . This way you will not cut little kitty toes or skin!
Good Luck
[notify]

Ch.- Posiepurrs- Solidago

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 2:55am PST 
Use a greyhound type comb instead of a brush. A brush will not go through a long thick coat - just gets the top layer of fur. The underneath hair will mat and felt. You have to be consistent with combing for the cat to tolerate it. Offer some type of reward so the cat will link it with grooming. Mine all get a treat or some baby food.
[notify]

Sonny

Luvin life out- of the shelter

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 9:14pm PST 
Ok thanks I will check out the letter opener and try the treat deal with him. The hardest ones are going to be the ones between his legs. The only good thing if you call it that is that you can't see the matts but when you pet him they are like hard lumps. They don't seem to bother him but they sure bother me! naughty
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 10:30pm PST 
I agree with
Posiepurrs- Solidago, I was just not sure you would know what a "greyhound" comb was. I love mine! Those would be the best thing to comb out any matts with. Chicken baby food alwasy works with me! mol good luck and please let us know how you do.
[notify]

Julian

CFA Regional- Winner 2009-2010

Purred: Thu May 20, '10 7:57am PST 
First I'd try to find the way to prevent matts from forming. It may be grease (do you bath him with degreaser?), food (mine eat raw), wrong products for bathing etc.

I have several greyhound combs and many other "staff" that one who is showing persians is supposed to have... I do not comb my cats daily, I rarely do it and they do not develop knots or matts. And their coats are really very long. But I bathe them once a week and degrease their coats.

If I feel a knot with my hands I first work it through with my fingers, then I may use facial ("flea") comb.
[notify]

Ch.- Posiepurrs- Solidago

Purred: Fri May 21, '10 4:03am PST 
If you bath the cat just be certain all the snarls are out first - otherwise they will tighten and be nearly impossible to get out. Even if the mats don't seem to bother him they can be very painful and we all know how easy it is for cats to hide pain or illness! Mats can cause infections under them to if tight to the skin. I find even with Persians I don't need to comb everyday IF the coat is kept clean. A greasy coat will tangle much faster than a clean one. I comb about every other day around here. Don't forget to wash your combs to, you don't want to put greas back into the coat once you get it out.
[notify]

Santana

Best CFA cream- smoke 2010

Purred: Fri May 21, '10 11:06am PST 
Oh, I sure agree with previous poster about getting all knots and matts out before bathing, did this mistake once with my cream smoke with extremely long cottony coat... it was terriblesmile.

Also, if you decide to bath a cat don't forget to trim his nailssmile. Even with my mellow persians who were showed and got bathed twice a week for a year or so accidential scratches on my skin happen if I forget to trim their nails.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 6:48am PST 
My oh my, what an awesome picture of Santana!! applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause

And congrats on the Smoke title!! applauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Santana is a perfect example, that the reason for the matts in the first place, can be eliminated, as Julian explained.

LH show cats, cannot have matts, they cannot just shave or cut them out, man oh man, the judges would spot that in a NY minute, mol. naughty

If a LH kitty is getting matts, we have to figure out why he is getting the matts in the first place.
If it is on the back, kinda near the tail, that is usually an indication, the kitty cannot groom himself properly, due to illness or being overweight. It could also be as Santana suggested, the coat is too greasy, which one of those reasons, is due to poor diet. Also, the fur under their underarms and on their tummys and between their back legs, is usually on the fine side, and if the coat is greasy, a small matt, that Santana described, and can be easily pulled apart, is now a huge mess.

Mine only get a bath when they have a show, but they are combed out and checked for matts dailey, especially, under their underarms, tummys and back legs.

They also learned to be groomed as 8 week old kittens, as most show kitties are, so they just are used to it, and know the routine and just accept it. I taught mine by starting out with a soft human baby brush. Put them on the grooming table, a lick or so of baby food, a few brush strokes, pets, kisses, telling them this is a goody thingy, one more baby food lick, bam they are done. Keep the lessons short, start positive, so they know its a good thing, end positive, so they did not have a bad experience.

Over time, you just increase the time you brush them, and they learn, slowly, they stay there until you let them go. The real fun starts, when you graduate to teaching them baths and blow drying, mol, mol, mol. laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

Julian

CFA Regional- Winner 2009-2010

Purred: Sat May 22, '10 5:15pm PST 
Bumpurr, furrriend, where have you been???? We missed you badly and couldn't find anywhere! And belated congratulations with being Cat of the Day!cheer

You said everything better than me (as alwayslaugh out loud) - "great minds think alike"cheer
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4