GO!

what to do if poop sticks to fur alot??

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Lily ( help- I'm missing- )

Sweet Girl

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 8:07am PST 
My lily is very furry back there, should I trim the fur?? because she has very stinky poop, and it sometimes sticks, really kinda gross, and she hates me washing her, but puts up with it. She is a maine coon, so very long furred.
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 11:05am PST 
Hi ! I have that problem every now and then.. mom just trims me with the buzzer - being careful not to cut to much off to make me look strange..
its almost unnoticeable, but helps alot.
[notify]

Stella

Everyone visits- to see me and- only me!

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 4:08pm PST 
I just shave a little area around their rectal. Keeps the poop from sticking to their fur.
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 8:20pm PST 
Hi Lily wave
As a former Pro. Groomer, I would also suggest that you get a clipper with a guard attachment. Because using a scissor could make the trim very choppy.
Also if she moved, you could nick her skin.. ouch eek
That way you can also trim her belly and keep her cooler when Sumner comes.
Also please do not use any scissors to "trim" out any mats/knots. Use a letter opener like this;http://www.officeworld.com/Worlds-Biggest-Selection/WEVCOA12/10 Q1/
You can find them at most office supply stores. Just slice through and use a metal comb to get it out. Feed her a good food with a high amount of Omega 3 fatty acid to keep her fur in shape.
Good luck, I hope this helps.
[notify]

Shadrach

FEED ME!

Purred: Fri Apr 2, '10 8:56am PST 
Me OWWWWW!! I had this problem too! I'm part Maine Coon with a VERY furry behind. Plus, I'm getting kind of big, so it isn't always easy for me to reach back there to clean. Mom calls those "things" "dingleberries." Usually I let her trim them off with beard/moustache scissors (rounded tips), but the last time, it was REALLY messy and so close to my skin mom was afraid she would hurt me, so mom and dad took me to the vet. The lady vet (HOW embarrasing) shaved me from right under my tail just about all the way down. I have so much fur you really have to look closely to see the shaved area, but I feel SOOOO much better now!!

When mom brushes me (every morning) she holds my tail in the air and brushes up my tail and then brushes around "that" area as well to keep it really clear of little poop spots!. Sometimes she even uses a cat wipe on me to clean my back end really well. I don't really like that, but she is kind of sneaky and gets me before I realize it!!

The lady vet recommended liquid benedryl to help calm me down when I have to have my nails trimmed and when it is time for another shave. Maybe that will help mellow me out some. We haven't tried that yet, so we'll see how it works.
[notify]