GO!

Pedi Paws

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Sabre

Protective Free- Spirit

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:44am PST 
Hello Everyone. So I finally broke down and ordered a Pedi Paws. Sabre is horrible about getting his nails trimmed so I thought I would try this.
Did anyone else find that their cats HATED it?
Sabre wasn't to impressed with me trying to put his nails in a little hole. I think the noise it made scared him too. Also, It took a lot longer than I thought.
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 12:22pm PST 
I always wondered about Pedi Paws, but I kinda thought the noise would be scary...

I have a friend who was telling me about this product~ but she kept calling it "Pedi File" big laugh Get it? laugh out loud I was not sure what she was talking about at first!
[notify]

RIP Chloe

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:30pm PST 
My dog falls asleep when I use it on him..My cat on the other hand hates it lol.
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Wed Mar 10, '10 8:43pm PST 
As a former Pro groomer,Meowma has a regular Dremil nail grinder. Her Mom bought a Pedi Paw and it works great on her Jack Russel. I would not recommend using it on any cat. It is very noisy and would take for ever to grind down all toe nails. I would recommend using one of the "cat" type nail cutters. Or a regular human toe nail cutter. Make sure you use a new one as it is very sharp. And if your kitty does not like the nails cut... it could be because you cut the nails to short at one time. If that is the fact, you may have to take kitty to your vet or have someone wrap your cat in a heavy towel. Sootball here falls asleep when I am cutting his. He has extra thumbs and does not mind me cutting them at all.
Good luck
[notify]

Sabre

Protective Free- Spirit

Purred: Thu Mar 11, '10 7:39am PST 
I do have a regular cat nail clipper that I paid $35 for at a pet grooming supply store. Rodney loves getting his nails clipped. He will just lye there on his back with his paws up. I don't know why Sabre hates it so much. I always clip only the tips, never get anywhere near the quick.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Thu Mar 11, '10 7:59am PST 
We have them! Coop is the WORST about getting his nails trimmed. I hope they work for you, but he just wouldn't have it.

I introduced them slowly, as you're supposed to do, to allow them to get used to the noise. We did that for a week, and the noise didn't seem to bother him.

However...when I went to actually use it on his paws...forget it! Once he knew what it was for, he refused to let me touch him.

We went through three different sets of trimmers, and he's just impossible when I try to trim him. At this point, I just take him to the vet to have them done. It's ten bucks, but it saves us both from the stress when I try to do it.

Good luck, and I hope your baby takes better to it than Coopie!
Purrs,
Coop and Coop's Mombig grin
[notify]

Sootball

I am so cute,- scratch my belly- mol

Purred: Fri Mar 12, '10 3:54pm PST 
Hey Coopurr... That is probably the best thing for her to do also. If any one has a cat that is impossible to trim. That way, Kitty will not hate you as much and as long.
Good Luck
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sat Mar 13, '10 12:35pm PST 
Hiya, Sootball --
Coop's mom here. Yeah...I really tried with him. On numerous occasions, with several different trimming instruments.

In a way, we were lucky he had so many doctors' appointments in the beginning that they just did them for us. But now that he's back to a regualr vet schedule, I've gotta do something for his nails in between. So it's back to the vet!

But he's only a year and five months, and that's still a kitten in behavior, and they get into things. (I just also happen to have a lot of linen roman shades that are easy for him to get stuck in when he bird watches through the widows! LOL) And I just can't risk him getting stuck on something and hurting himself. So...off to the vet for a nail trimming we go!

Seriously, though...if anyone can get pedipaws to work with their furbabes, I think that's great. Coop just fusses when I do it -- or if I stand there when they trim him at the vet. So I take him, I sit in the waiting room, and I let them do it because they know what they're doing. I think it has to do with the fact that Mom is there, but we've worked around that!

Good luck!!!!!!

cheer

Coop and Mom
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Mon Mar 22, '10 10:52am PST 
I have not used one, but I wonder if the vibration of the tool maybe is what makes them freak out, as their paws are so sensitive, compared to dogs. That was why I never bought one myself. Kinda like using a sander on furniture, your hand gets all buzzy?
[notify]

Alexis

talking talking- is what i do all- day

Purred: Mon Mar 22, '10 6:42pm PST 
i brought the pedi paws once, one of my cats nellie was fine with it. My other two cats alexis and milo are scared of the noise from it. So i stopped using it.

Edited by author Mon Mar 22, '10 6:44pm PST

[notify]