GO!

Furminator vs. Zoom Groom

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Tue Sep 15, '09 7:07pm PST 
Have a question for those of you who have both: do you find that your cat likes one better?

I had a hard time getting Boris groomed until we tried the Zoom Groom. It quite literally changed Boris' perception of grooming from something irritating to something he looks forward to and asks.

But now that we have Gracie, she has nearly 3 times the fur that he does, as evidenced by the amount of hair the Zoom Groom picks up. I was thinking that for her, a Furminator may be necessary, since grooming her with the ZG takes up to 15 minutes a day. I still plan on using the Zoom Groom on her daily (she loves it too), I'm just thinking that I could use the Furminator once a week or less, just to make sure everything gets picked up from her. That said, she has only ever been groomed with a Zoom Groom and I'd rather not introduce a Furminator if it will make her groom averse (given how independent Gracie is, grooming time is the one bonding ritual we've had throughout her life).

That's why I was wondering if those of you who have both have noticed a marked preference for one of them. Which did you have first? Which does your kitty like better? Do you find that they associate the two?
[notify]

Namerovsky

From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 8:23am PST 
I haven't tried a zoom Groom, though I want to. But here's my story: Nems hated every grooming thing - soft brushes, wire brushes, combs of all kinds...he tolerates-to-sort-of-likes the Furminator. I didn't get a Zoom Groom even though I've heard good things just because I finally did find one thing he'll take.

I don't think it would hurt to try.
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 12:06pm PST 
I bought the Furminator first. It works well enough, but I had to use one hand to hold the cat down, and the other to brush- then when I needed to take the hair out, I had to let go- and they would run. I then tried the Zoom Groom- and they both really love it. They roll around and purr while I brush them- that is a huge difference! I think if they like to be brushed, they will probably let you use a furminator, but if they don't- the Zoom Groom is better.
[notify]

Misty- (Forever In- Our Hearts)

Queen Of The- Universe

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 2:31pm PST 
I have heaps of different combs and brushes for my cat. I got a Zoom-Groom a couple of years ago and I think it works well but my cat's not a huge fan of it. I think it almost feels like static electricity to her.

I also got a Furminator a couple of months ago and in my opinion, it's better than the Zoom-Groom. My cat likes it more and it gets out much more fur in half the time. Because it takes out the under coat it helps remove any mats she might have and it leaves her top coat looking really nice and shiny. I can use the Furminator once a month whereas the Zoom-Groom I would have to use alot more. I still brush my cat with a regular brush between times because she enjoys it so much, but I don't actually need to because the Furminator removes so much fur.

It's definitely personal preference! Maybe you could find a friend with a Furminator and try it out a couple of times on your cat before you go and buy one.

---------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
Vote for my amazing cat Misty for NZ's Next Top Cat Model-a charity fundraiser compeition. You can vote throughtout September 2009, one vote per email address-anyone can vote! Misty is a disabled rescue cat who spends her life looking after others & very much deserves to win!! http://www.topcatmodel.co.nz/finalist_misty.html
------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------
[notify]

Gracie

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 3:15pm PST 
I wouldn't use the furminator for anyone but the one kitty. The zoom groom does a nice job on Boris, but he's a shorthair. Gracie is medium haired and has more than twice the fur of Boris, despite being smaller in size. I'm chewing on this, and I think maybe the Furminator will work if I make sure never to use it in combination with the Zoom Groom. Maybe I can use the Furminator to loosen the undercoat quickly, and finish up later with the ZG at some other time...
[notify]

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 5:01pm PST 
Both my cats were used to the Zoom Groom when I adopted them, in fact their foster Mom gave me a Zoom Groom to take home. They absolutely love it and will roll on their backs and let me groom them for hours. I later bought a Furminator because my cats have long fur and I had read that this was a great grooming tool. It does remove much more hair in a shorter amount of time compared to the Zoom Groom, but the biggest difference is that neither one will tolerate it for very long. Zoom Groom seems much more comfortable and enjoyable for them.
[notify]

Gracie

Purred: Wed Sep 16, '09 8:38pm PST 
That's what I hear from everyone about the Zoom Groom, and I don't doubt his effectiveness. Boris has gotten compliments on how well groomed his fur is. Both cats definitely ask for it in lieu of pets, and I'd like to keep that going for sure.

It's just that I hate to think that Gracie has a lot more hair than what I can gather with the ZG. What with Boris being prone to hairballs before Gracie came to live with us (that's why they are not brushed with the ZG daily), I'd use the Furminator to loosen the undercoat once in a while so that the ZG could do a better job of actually gathering all of her shedding fur. Plus I think that her coat would look really amazing if I could do a better job of keeping it groomed, which I just can't seem to be able to (Gracie will sit for a long time for the ZG, about 10 minutes, but that's a little much to ask of any kitty on a daily basis, so if I could use the Furminator every 3 days or so, and the ZG daily afterward, it would be win win for us).
[notify]

Persia

What Breed am I?- A dog in a cats- body?

Purred: Wed Sep 23, '09 5:42pm PST 
We just purchased a Furminator today and used it for the first time. It takes a second to get the cat to let you use it, atleast thats how it is for my cat. She just wants to bite at it thinking its a toy. She does this for all brushes. So we will see so far it does removed a good bit of hair and makes her softer
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat Sep 26, '09 12:07pm PST 
eaither way, becarefull not to overgroom on thin-coated cats. i gave my cat a bald spot once.
[notify]

Gracie

Purred: Sun Sep 27, '09 7:07pm PST 
Oh, Miss Tiny, thanks for the advice. I was warned about that, and that's why the Furminator would just be for Gracie. She has a double coat. It's so thick that I can't see skin even if I purposely try to part fur on her. So she definitely is not at risk from going bald very easily. laugh out loud

Boris otoh is definitely a shorthair and his coat is easy to manage. He does and will continue to do fine with just the Zoom Groom (now if only he didn't groom himself 20 times a day and Gracie as many times and give himself hairballs!).
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2