GO!

Help/opinion needed LONG HAIRED kitty grooming

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
PJ Rehomed

Hug me! Love me!

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '09 8:02am PST 
Hi Everyone~
I am the first time mom of a long haired kitty.
He had been roaming the streets for 2 months and he has been recently neutered.
He is beautiful silky haired. He has lots of mats
on his back and towards his bum.
Needless to say he is not thrilled with brushing.
I am hoping he will come around since he is an absolute sweetheart~ a real love bug.
How do you guys feel about a" lion cut"? I must say I am less than crazy about it. Are there other
solutions?
Thanks in advance
Eva
Mom to Peter Jkitty
Sir Alfie Kneads-A-Lotkitty
Teddy Bearzkitty
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '09 9:22am PST 
Since he's been on the street for so long, I'd recommend you take him to a groomer, who will probably be able to shampoo him and get the mats out without giving him a lion cut. Then you take over with regular grooming sessions. I recommend the occasional shampoo, because it gets out lots of dead hair and prevents both mats and hairballs. Use a pet shampoo. For long-haired cats, professionals use metal combs, not brushes--brushes can't get all the way down to the skin, although they do distribute the natural oils and make the cat feel happy, as if it's being licked by its Mommy. The Zoom Groom is wonderful for getting rid of dead hair. The Furminator also works well, but does damage the hair a bit, and is expensive. Every long-haired cat has a different kind of fur (and fur texture changes with age), so you'll need to experiment a bit. Good luck.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 7:48am PST 
I would first wet him down really good and apply a good conditioner all over him, then comb it thru..(if you can, it should loosen the matts), then give him a good washin
and re condition again. KLEAN KITTY

Edited by author Tue Apr 14, '09 7:49am PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Apr 15, '09 3:06pm PST 
I agree with Leila. Being the area where the mats are, and being that right
now your not familiar with grooming a long haired cat, take him to a
groomers the first time. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

After he gets back, comb him every day with a metal tooth comb, you can
get them at Pet Smart, this will keep the mats out. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Us long haired show kitties, me and Harvey, shudder, mol, mol, at the
thought of a lion cut. If we can keep our LH cats groomed, you can too,
it just takes practice. The groomer would also be glad to advise you on how
to groom a LH cat. Just don't let them talk you into a zillion products, if
he's not a show kitty, ya don't need them. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Bonnie

Bonnie the- Beautiful &- Bonnie Lass

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 12:25am PST 
Congratulations on your Long Haired kitty!!

ohhh If you are thinking of getting your kitty a "lion cut" FIRST please go look at my other photo's... During the very hot summer last year Meow Mom got me a lion cut laugh out loud OMG I looked SO ... old and bald!

This year we got the furminator instead and it's much better at getting my very thick under coat out and some mats too. But like adviced, a good bath and brushing should get most of those mats out, and with some small sissors and gentle tugging the bigger mats apart, soon you will be mat free and have a wonderful silky coat smile
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Sat May 2, '09 7:11pm PST 
Wtg on taking in your kitty. I would not recommend using scissors on any cat. Before meowma became a prof. Groomer, she tried to cut a knot out of a kitties hair near his head... BAD idea. She nicked his skin and it was a VERY small nick but it made a big hole. Luckly she worked for a vet at the time and the kitty was one of the vets friends. That is why Meowma decided to never let that happen again, so She went to Grooming School.Now for the mats: never wet any animal who has mats because it will only make them tighter as they dry.
If you have ever seen cats fight, you will know that there hair flies all over the place. This being said, most mats can be combed out with a long toothed comb.
Usually called a Grey Hound comb. It has different spaced teeth in it so you can get under the mats easily with out causing to much discomfort. Cats have VERY thin skin and do not do well with a lot of brushing or combing esp if they are not used to it , like Bumpurr and his great Family are. I found something made by Bamboo and it might work for you. It has those cutting blades that go through mats on one side and a rake comb that flips over for use. IDK I have only used it on my Aunts Chow collie mix. Though there is one thing you can do is take a scissor to him only with a comb to the skin and cut on top of the comb. That way you will not cut his skin. You could also use a letter opener that is plastic and has a small razor blade in it. It is a U shaped kind of thing. Companies used to give them for free as advertisement. You could try Office Max or a place like that.
Now if the groomer can not comb him out without causing a lot of pain, than a lion cut would be the best. It is hair and will grow back. You can start fresh and keep him mat free that way.

Good Luck! btw meowma groomed for 12 years and did a lot of cats.
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Sun May 3, '09 9:55am PST 
Meowlo Peter J - my Look Alike Friend:

Meowmy got a brush at PetsMart in the Dog Grooming Department. It looks like a hairbrush for humans (it is made by Conair). It has metal teeth and tiny knobs on the the ends of the teeth. Does a great job of going through my fur, and those little metal knobs on the end feel SO good too. She also got a metal comb there works well on combing out mats.

Sounds like you do need a professional groomer this time, but try the brush and comb I have, and it will help keep your coat looking shiny. Bless your meowmy for taking you in off the streets and giving you a loving, furrever home.

Welcoming Purrs,
Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett, Benny Grunch, Pete Fountain, Charmaine Neville and Buddy Bolden
[notify]

PJ Rehomed

Hug me! Love me!

Purred: Sun May 3, '09 8:11pm PST 
Peter J is getting used to being brushed.(He is such a sweetie!)
The mats are still there. I can't bring myself to cut.
Tuesday we are going to the vet for pro grooming.
It is still undecided if a lion cut is his future.
Louis Armstrong, thank you sweetie. I will look for that brush.
Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!

hug
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Tue May 5, '09 4:16pm PST 
Hi Peter J ,
How did your vet visit go?
[notify]

PJ Rehomed

Hug me! Love me!

Purred: Wed May 6, '09 9:49pm PST 
wave Angel Meow~Thanks for asking. The vet took a large toothed comb and got my mats~ all 7 of them.it took a minute! MOL
Mom was a bit embarrassed.
Although I have to admit I really did struggle to get away. It took mom and the vet tech to hold me in place.red face That's 4 extra hands.
Other than that I was a good boy and didn't make a sound.
My doc was impressed.
Anyway~ now mom will brush me regularly and hopefully I will stay mat free!
Head-butts

PeterJ♥
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2