GO!

Cat Hair!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Lolo

MEOW?

Purred: Mon Apr 6, '09 9:18pm PST 
I have four long haired cats. I want them to be able to have the run of the house and sit on the furniture but the hair is becoming a chore to control. I brush them every two days and even use a fine toothed comb but it doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

Could anyone suggest a special brush or grooming technique?kitty
[notify]

Henry- (1996-2010)

Go away, I'm- sleeping.

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '09 8:08am PST 
I bought the new Pledge fabric sweeper and it works great on my furniture and bedding. I highly recommend! You can find coupons online.

And although it's labeled as disposable, it's easy to pop out a roller (remember which way it goes back) and pull out the hair so you're not putting more plastic in the landfill.
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '09 1:57pm PST 
Hi Lola,
I just bought one of those things from TV. It is called a Pet Vac. I have to hook it up to my regular vacuum with its hose, there is a collection bucket and a longer hose that is used with attachments. I oped for the the furminater looking attachment. It was 19.00 bucks extra but for 1c it will be free for a month. I will pay for it in about a month. I love it but it should be used every day. I was a groomer for 12 years and because I developed carpal tunnel syndrome I no longer groom. I also have a reg furminator but the one that hooks to my vac sucks it all up so I do not need to do so outside and I do not have to sweep it all up or look for a trash can to put the hair in. I feed a quality cat food that has a lot of linoleic Acid , that is omega 3 fatty acid. It has 3.50% min. Make sure you find one that is high in that . It does not stop the shedding but it does help. Much better than any grocery store dry food.
[notify]

Matty

Rescue cats- rule!

Purred: Tue Apr 7, '09 8:52pm PST 
I've come to the conclusion that constant maintenance is the key, at least for my girls. I use one of those Furminator de-shedding tools to wipe out much of the undercoat, but still, even with vigilant brushing and vacuuming, there's still hair everywhere. I balked at the price of Furminators when I bought mine initially, but I feel they do work well, and the blade on mine has yet to wear out after 2+years. I furminate, then brush a few times weekly, but either way, my girls are prone to matted fur which needs to be clipped out periodically. Good luck!
kitty
[notify]

Emmet

Cat with a- haircut

Purred: Wed Apr 15, '09 7:21pm PST 
You could consider a lion cut for your cat.
[notify]