GO!

bathing

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Tag

Don't tell, but,- I'M training- MOM!

Purred: Tue Feb 3, '09 6:53am PST 
Like another poster said, no question is a stupid question. Actually, I have to correct that. A question NOT ASKED is a stupid question.

I'd say the opinion on this will be as different from one cat owner to another as one cat is to another.

Tag gets bathed 2-3 times a year just to keep him used to it so he tolerates it. He got them more often when he was little, for "training" as another poster put it.

You never know when, whether you plan to or not, you may have to bathe your cat one day. I experienced that with one of my first cats for medical purposes and it was like trying to fight demons. I vowed to introduce and practice baths with every cat I'd ever own after that.

When Tag was about 1 or 2, he started rushing doors and escaped several times. When he did, he disappeared into a thicket which adjoined our yard. Well, this particular thicket was overrun with poison ivy. Okay, been there, done that ...NEVER AGAIN, if I can help it! Don't like poison ivy. When I finally corralled him, he got a bath, I got a bath and so did all the clothes and my tennis shoes I'd been wearing.

I'm so glad he's tolerant of baths! I had enough holes in me from trying, unsuccessfully, to dodge thicket thorns!

P.S. - There are hairless breeds that require bathing, I think.
[notify]

Oliver

"It's gon' rain"

Purred: Tue Feb 3, '09 8:03pm PST 
thank you for the advice! my mommy is going to bathe us, to make sure we are used to it if it's ever necessary in the future smile mommy isn't worried about me, i'm such a easy going boy! but panda's a different story. she's a little feisty. we had to have 3 people hold her for her kitty shots when she was only 2 pounds because she somehow kept escaping smile
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Feb 4, '09 1:24am PST 
I had a sister/brother duo who lived to be 15 and 18, and neither got a bath, ever. My childhood cat lived to be 17 and also never got bathed. All were domestic short hairs.

Now I have Maine Coons that I put in cat shows, and the difference between good grooming (I've been praised by judges!) and indifferent grooming can mean the difference between getting a ribbon or not.

It all depends on your cat and your needs. If your cats look clean and don't hawk up too many hairballs, then I wouldn't worry about bathing them. However, baths do wonders for hairballs, so if you have a problem with hairballs, try the occasional bath.

I do agree that getting your cat used to being bathed is important. Now that I look back on it, my Boku, who died at 18, had had his sister groom him until she died three years before he did. He looked pretty scroungy when he died. On the other hand, he was old and frail, and I didn't want to surprise him with a sudden bath.

In any event, I can't emphasize enough how important baths are for preventing hairballs, especially if you have a cat with longish fur. My three Maine Coons never hawk up fur because they get the occasional show bath.

By the way, you don't have to worry about shampoo. Personally, I avoid shampoos with conditioners as the conditioners themselves tend to attract extra dirt. It's a little-known secret of the breeder/shower, but dish detergent gets the job done quickly and efficiently. Just make sure to rinse thoroughly. Every cat is different, but all the Maine Coon showers I know shampoo their cat before each weekend show, and no one complains of dry skin/fur. And for a long haired cat, the groomer's choice is a metal comb, rather than a brush.

Having said all that, it doesn't really sound like your cats need baths. But you might want to try it just to get them used to the idea.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2