GO!

Cat Show people, what do you think about this? :-)

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  
Tinkerbell

Purred: Thu Apr 9, '09 12:04am PST 
Hello,

Check out www.winningshowcatsecrets.com It gives you answers to everything you need to know to show your cat.
[notify]

Kisu

Japanese Bobtail

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 7:58am PST 
We use F1R2 Super Scrub for our first shampoo-in
then we use F1R2 - Snow burst (gets our whites white and our colors brite!)

Japanese Bobtails Long Hair and Shorhairs

We used to use a vinegar rinse and conditioners but stopped
the conditioners weighed the fur down and made it clump back up faster, now we just use Joico spray for a finishing touch, also the
BayRum spray is good that you get at the shows..
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Apr 14, '09 3:57pm PST 
I had a judge tell me about the vinegar rinse, haven't tried it yet, not sure
how safe it would be for the kittens. And never had to deal with white
before either, mol, Cowboy has white paws and white chest & tummy.
Another exhibitor told me to try baby powder, don't know how safe that
is for the kittens either. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:10am PST 
For the white paws you can try the white grooming chalk,
Calcium Carbonate (health food stores) or corn starch.
A breeder told me the cal Carb you brush on wet, dry it.. and brush it out but we havent tried that. Getting the whites their whitest is a pain in the tushy, we have a problem gettibg the hocks white.
Mom have invested in about three shampoos..
she takes extra care to put the whitening shamp on the hock and scrub it in with a soft toothbrush and let sit for as long as she can.
Ive used the vinegar rinse many times, it dont hurt them..
Id warm it with a dilution mix of 1/2 cup of white vinegar to 1 cup of water.. Pour it over and on their greasy spots (behind ears, tail area, and back legs, and ruff) then rinse many times,
they wont smell like vinegar at all. Try it you may like it.
Now thats what I call a sour puss hehehehhehehe.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Sun Apr 19, '09 6:56pm PST 
For white areas, I find that using Groomer's Goop (a pet product, not to be confused with Goop) on the white areas (including the bottoms of the feet!) along with Jerob's whitening shampoo does the trick. Harvey has the whitest white of all the Maine Coons at the cat shows we go to. He also gets dish detergent, another degreasing shampoo, a general shampoo, a texturizing shampoo, and texturing rinse (Picnic brand--Japanese) on his tail. My problem is that his tail has lost it's fluffiness--age? Hormones? Never recovered from last summer's heat? Who knows. Cornstarch or dry shampoo (the powdered kind) can be mixed into the ruff and tail (AFTER thoroughly drying your cat) for extra volume.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Mon Apr 20, '09 4:02pm PST 
Here's the scoop, tried it on Bumpurr, and it worked real well for him. big grin

After I did his normal "formula" and rinse rinse rinse, did the vinegar rinse,
1 cup white vinegar/1 gallon water, then he smelled like vinegar, so more
rinse rinse rinse, then did the Jerob cream rinse, like a dolp, diluted with
water, wasn't sure of the ration, so used very very little, and more rinse
rinse rinse. The vinegar and the ratio and the Jerob cream rinse, is what
a judge told me to do. big grin

Cannot tell you what a difference this made, his fur was very soft, and no
greasy seperation. big grin

13 cats, 6 rings, 5 finals, got best in one ring this past weekend. big grin

Questions - do you think the vinegar rinse is safe for the kittens, they
turned 8 months old today. They have another show in 2 weeks. How do
you apply the grooming chalk? And do you do it, at the show, after they
have been washed and dryed? Or do you do it before you wash them?

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '09 1:13am PST 
I've never used Jerob's cream rinse, since my Maine Coons tend to get greasy and have soft fur anyway. I use the Picnic conditioner because it is supposed to be a texturizer. As for the vinegar, I can't imagine that it would hurt cats/kittens if it's rinsed out properly. You might want to check a list of human foods that are bad for kitties, but I don't remember ever seeing vinegar on the list. By the way, there are lots of types of vinegar out there--apple vinegar probably has a stronger smell, so you might want to try white vinegar.

I've never heard of grooming chalk or seen it at cat shows. Even though I'm a lousy housekeeper and my floors are not all that clean, I never have any trouble getting the feet (including the soles) sparkling white with Goop, Jerob's, and the other shampoos I use.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '09 1:37pm PST 
A million years ago, we used the 'chalk' on horses with white markings. It went on after everything was washed and absolutely all the way dry, to avoid caking. It did ok, but later we started finding products specially made for washing white areas that made the chalk obsolete for the most part.
I'm not sure if you are talking about the same product, however.

I'm pretty sure the vinegar would be ok on animals of any age; it's a mild acid, but not a harsh chemical. I'd call the vet just to be sure, though.

Edited by author Wed Apr 22, '09 1:40pm PST

[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 9:25am PST 
Asked my vet yesterday, she said because they were over 6 months old,
they could have it. Under 6 months, no. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

The- Magnificent- Seven

We all found- homes!

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 5:08pm PST 
Under six months, they probably wouldn't need it anyway. My kittens got their first shampoo at three months, and I just gave them a quick scrub with dish detergent, followed by a thorough rinsing. The cat shampoo I tried on them seemed to have conditioner in it, as it left them sort of greasy-looking.
[notify]

(Page 4 of 5: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5