GO!

Dandruff!

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Delilah

I am Diva, hear- me roar!

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '08 8:19pm PST 
Meowmie is wondering if there's anything that can be done about my bad case of dandruff. We know this is what it is and not fleas. I am a beautiful black kitty, but all my dandruff doesn't make me look so good, y'know? When I was groomed in the summer, I looked good, but meowmie and daddy can't afford to have me groomed that often, and right now I have a open wound on my tush so I can't have a bath. Do the wipes work? If they do, i know mom will buy them for me. Thanks for your help!
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Tue Nov 18, '08 10:41pm PST 
I don't know how you'll feel about this, but.....

A raw diet can do miracles for skin issues. A little research may convince you.
[notify]

Delilah

Purred: Wed Nov 19, '08 6:19am PST 
Thanks. Since I already make baby food for my grandson, I don't think it would be that much work to also do so for Delilah. I will do some research. way to go
[notify]

Khina

Purred: Wed Nov 19, '08 4:55pm PST 
Baby food can be a great way to transition a cat to raw. Next time you make up a batch of all meat baby food (no onion, garlic, or veg of any kind) give Delilah the bowl to lick and see what she thinks. You can use that as a base to start sneaking in raw meat.

Does she like eggs? You could mix some egg into her meals once in a while. That could help. And also salmon oil or some other fish body oil can help with skin issues.

www.rawfedcats.org is an excellent resource for starting your cat on raw. And there are a whole bunch of us on the raw forum here to help you out.

I'm always so happy when people are open minded about finding out what might be best for their pets' health. Learning is a never ending process in all areas of life and it is so disheartening when people don't think there's anything to learn about nutrition. For pets and humans!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Wed Nov 19, '08 11:49pm PST 
way to go Khina
[notify]

PUNKIN POOH

ZOO KEEPER

Purred: Thu Nov 20, '08 5:37am PST 
In the winter I get dandruff pretty bad too. Mommy once asked the vet about it...and he suggested putting some kind of oil on my food.
Mommy didn't do it....so I forget the kind of oil he said....but you could call your vet and ask what kind of oil it is.
Winter has just begun....so I'll have my flakies soon probably.
[notify]

Delilah

Purred: Thu Nov 20, '08 4:28pm PST 
I've been brushing Delilah like crazy and the flaking has been cut down by about 99%. I think it's because she was sick and then at the vet's and I wasn't brushing her six times a day like I usually do.

I often give the baby food my grandson doesn't eat (just plain meat, of course) to the cats. Izzie really likes it but the other two aren't so interested. I'll try again and see what happens. I'll also try the oil (I think it's called "Linatone". My mom used to put it on our dog's food when I was growing up.)

Thanks!
[notify]

Khina

Purred: Thu Nov 20, '08 4:33pm PST 
Linatone is a soybean oil base. Not only is it not as beneficial to carnivores because it's plant based, but many kitties have sensitivities or allergies to soy. Better to stick with an animal based oil like a fish body oil or emu oil.
[notify]

Delilah

Purred: Fri Nov 21, '08 7:44am PST 
OK. You mean like Omega 3?
[notify]

Khina

Purred: Fri Nov 21, '08 3:42pm PST 
Exactly. You can buy capsules and poke them to squeeze out the oil onto their food. Maybe someone else can chime in with the amounts here since I don't supplement my animals' food with omega 3 oil.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2