GO!

Hairball prevention

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Mr. Jinx

Purred: Thu Sep 11, '08 8:49am PST 
Can anyone recommend a good hairball prevention? such as treats or gels?

My long haired cat has been vomiting hairballs often, even though he has been shaved and the vet said i shouldn't switch food yet, because i just recently switched.
Thanks!!
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Thu Sep 11, '08 12:16pm PST 
I tried to give my kitten Laxatone (gel) and he hated it. I basically had to hold him down and smear it on his face so he'd be forced to lick it off. Generally he is excellent about these sorts of things, getting his claws trimmed, taking baths, etc, but he -really- hated the Laxatone. So instead I started buying Petromalt, it comes in little treat-sized bits. For a while I was able to convince him it was a treat, then he become disinterested. I toss a few in his dry food now and then, and he eats them easily enough. I also brush him with a fine long-toothed comb everyday and he gets occasional baths (which really get out lots of loose and dead hair). He has never had a hairball.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Sep 11, '08 2:34pm PST 
I also used Petromalt, but I put it on their front paws, in one swipe, and they lick it right off.
What are you feeding? Since I switched to Blue Wilderness, I have not had a hairball
issue. Bumpurr also gets combed every day, which does help also. smile laugh out loud
[notify]

Mysty

Brush me and- I'll be your- friend! :)

Purred: Thu Sep 25, '08 5:47pm PST 
Do u use a hair ball prevention cat food? The Science Diet brand works exceptionally well. kitty
[notify]